[43]

She wasn't quite sure what the time was. It was practically impossible to guess by the position of the sun in the sky, the sunrise and sunset times switched every day.

With no watch or phone, she just had to make a baseless assumption, and in this situation she was hoping and praying she was making the right call.

Liy arrived at the beach when the sun was barely above the horizon. She was aware nobody would be around at that time, which was partially why she had aimed for it; the other half being she had woken up too early and didn't want to stay laying down so long. She wasn't sure she'd be able to get back up if she did.

I need to do this one last thing before my body gives in.

This is the last chance I'll have to see them again.

She sat down onto the sand, watching the water intently as it lapped the surface. She listened to the soothing sounds of the ocean, beginning to relax against the sand. Her finger pressed down against the sand, leaving a mark as she glided it across.

The beach really was a comforting place. Liy used to go there all the time when she was younger with her parents. It was almost always where she'd chosen to spend her birthday parties. Her trips to the beach only became less and less frequent as she grew older, but on the off occasions she did pay a visit to the sandy place, it usually happened to be with Death P.A.C.T. She was so caught up with her friends on energetic, fun activities that she had never given it time to just... sit down and enjoy the scenery.

"What happens when I die, I wonder..." Liy mumbled to herself as she continued to draw small patterns into the wet sand, only for it to be washed away by the waves momentarily after. "The world goes on. Humanity goes on." She raised her now dripping hand, shaking the water and excess sand away. "My death wouldn't shake the world to its roots. It wouldn't even shake the city. One death of a high school graduate girl is nothing in the grand scheme of things." Her hand fell back into the sand. "But I made a difference in a few people's lives. I made an impact... maybe that's what counts."

She whisked her hand across an oncoming wave, sending a few droplets splashing through the air and dribble back into the water. She sighed, pushing herself up onto her feet with a groan.

"I wish I could have done more... but I think it's better like this. It's better to admit defeat now than fuel a false hope."

She stayed put on the beach for a long time, constantly getting up to stretch and keep herself awake. Most of the time she spent was on her own reflection of everything that had happened ever since the start of the apocalypse.

Do I regret what happened?

...Yes. I regret all of it.

But there's nothing to be done now.

After all... there isn't much I can do now...

Liy straightened up, flinching as she began to hear faint voices drawing ever so closer toward the beach.

...but I can set it straight.

She heard a faint question in the distance.

"Who's that?"

"I thought we'd be the first ones here."

Liy shot up onto her feet, whirling around to face the approaching survivors.

Is that them?

There were only four among the group, but the heights and hair... it was almost undeniably...

It is.

She broke into a run, calling out their names, only for a rasp to break over and overwhelm it, causing it to come in weak.

"Liy!?"

She halted right in front of them.

Black Hole, Pie, Tree, and Pillow.

"I wanted to see you guys one last time...!" Liy sighed, feeling relief wash over her as she set her eyes on all of their expressions.

"So you're still kicking," Pie smiled faintly, warmth for her friend washing over her, "I don't think I've ever been so happy to see you ever."

"Likewise, I'd say." She chuckled half-heartedly. She scanned the group, only just now realizing who was missing. Her heart nearly stopped then and there. "Where's... everyone else?"

Their expressions of relief quickly morphed into much more.. sullen expressions. It hurt her just to look.

"I heard what happened to Pen... what about Bottle and Remote? Please don't tell me..."

"They left and never came back." Tree told her, eyes dim with sorrow. "Remote only left about two days ago, but Bottle's been gone for around an entire week. So has Fanny."

"Oh..." She tried not to let her grief overwhelm her on the spot. She had to force it away. This was the last time she'd be able to see them. "Well... I... I came to say goodbye... you guys meant the world to me." Liy began to speak. "Ever since elementary, you guys have been there for me. Some longer than others—" Her gaze rested on Tree, "—but that doesn't mean I didn't love you all dearly. You guys truly made life the best it could possibly be... and I hope you guys can continue to support each other wherever life leads you next."

Tree stepped forward. "We love you too, Liy." His voice was warm with affection. "I wish it didn't have to end like this... what I would give for this whole situation to have never happened. Maybe I would've even been able to accept it if... it hadn't costed you guys..."

He stepped back, allowing Pie and Black Hole to take the lead. Pie was the one to speak up. "I wish you had listened to me. But I know it isn't entirely your fault. I knew you'd choose to defend your friends even if it meant your life was on the line. It was very admirable... I just wish it hadn't gotten to that point."

"You'll always be in our hearts... as well as everyone else we lost..." Black Hole came in.

Liy wiped her tears away, smiling weakly. "Good luck out there. And you?" She pointed to Pillow. "You stir up chaos for me, okay? Not too much though. Wouldn't want to drive your friends insane~."

"Will do!" Pillow smiled cheerfully, eyes shining with such pride, almost as if she had been given a very important role by some sort of commander.

Liy nodded to her, turning toward the others. "Tell Bracelety I said hi, okay? Lollipop and Saw too. Or bye, actually. Either works."

"Will do," Tree promised her.

Liy grinned, taking off and away from the beach, this time allowing herself to look back. Her heart was full of affection for the friends she had grown to love, only for the soft, butterfly-like feeling to swiftly switch into a stone pit in her stomach.

What happened to Remote?