63

Chapter 63: Shade
Even if Qing Yu hadn’t said anything, there were some things that Ning Guang would have begun to suspect. After all, ever since they escaped the Pure-Heart Precipice, everything had gone far too smoothly.

––––The narrow-minded Ming Cang had not sent anyone in pursuit, they were able to arrive at the lost treasure lands in time by a fluke, and they had entered the demon realm so easily. Sometimes, Ning Guang had to wonder if someone had smoothed the way for them. Listening to what Qing Yu said today, she was even more sure of her guess.

She tilted her head to look at Di Jiufeng, but seeing the worried expression on her face, Ning Guang did not want to bring it up any more.

She pinched her nose and lightly shook it back and forth. When she turned to look, Ning Guang said, “Don’t think about it too much. Since that person has already let some things slip, they will come to us sooner or later. Whether they are friend or foe, it can never hurt to be prepared.”

As they were talking, they had already arrived at the city lord’s residence: a majestic ancient compound towering in the very center of the city. For several miles around, there was nothing other than some rare plants, not a single building until the official residences of a few powerful nobles on the far perimeter.

The city lord’s residence stood singularly in the center, showing off its outstanding might.

When the three arrived, there was already someone waiting at the gate. He gave a few hasty greetings, then hurriedly brought them to the eldest young mistress’s boudoir.

It was a room in the southeast corner. The door was wide open, and there were people hurrying in and out.

When Di Jiufeng and the others approached, they heard a frail woman’s voice from inside the room.

“Daddy, I am an unfilial daughter, I, I cannot accompany you any longer.”

“Qiao-er, this is not your fault, it’s all daddy’s fault. If daddy hadn’t pressured you two, you would not have ended up in this state, it’s all daddy’s fault! Even if I have to stake this old life, I will save you.”

“No, it’s all due to my poor luck, daddy, I am going to die soon.. There is one question I wanted to ask you, if… if…”

The voices gradually grew quiet, then a hasty set of footsteps approached the door.

The city lord walked over, hands behind his back, brows furrowed into a deep crease, green veins popping in his temples. “Why are they still not here! Send someone to hurry them!” He yelled at the servants in a pressed-low voice, before he spotted Di Jiufeng and the others standing in the doorway.

He visibly started, then heard the servant’s frightened explanation. “City lord, they have already arrived, I was just about to report!”

Three young people, three young people who weren’t even of the demon race. Even though the city lord was desperate to save his daughter, he still had to hesitate. He looked them up and down, precaution clear in his eyes.