61

Chapter 61: Guess
The shade pacing back and forth outside the city was a soul. Its features were still distinct, only its body was a bit transparent. It wandered around outside the gates for a while, then suddenly tried to rush inside. But before it could step over the threshold, a bolt of demonic energy shot from the name plaque and sent it flying.

Di Jiufeng and Ning Guang had not stood there for very long, but they had seen this shade try many times already.

Every time it was struck by the demonic energy, its body would fade a bit, but it still refused to give up. Who knew what it was thinking, to disregard even the possibility of its soul being scattered for good.

After they stood and watched for a while, Ning Guang looked away, disinterested. She didn’t have much compassion for others, she wouldn’t feel any empathy upon seeing this soul, she might even just think it stupid. If a soul could maintain its sentience, as long as it continued to cultivate, it would be easier for it to become a ghostly cultivator than a normal person, it could once again form a physical body.

At that time, neither this name plaque or anything else would be able to bar its path.

Ning Guang shook her head and walked off towards the city. But, the moment they passed the soul, Di Jiufeng stopped her.

She must have seen something, and her voice sounded a bit urgent. “Ning Guang, stop, quick.” She quickly and quietly spoke in Ning Guang’s ear, calling up the System at the same time.

Sensing its host’s call, the System had not yet composed itself before it heard Di Jiufeng’s impatient words. “System, look at that embroidered pouch. Isn’t it the same as the Young Mistress’s Embroidered Pouch in the system store?”

Because it had just started up, the System’s computation rate was not yet up to speed, and it stared dumbly for a moment.

It reflexively opened the System store and pulled out that item––––

The Young Mistress’s Embroidered Pouch, 10,000 fortune points. After entering the Demonic Realm main plotline, sale price 5,000 points.

The System looked at it for a while, then scanned the soul’s pouch with an infrared scanner. It furrowed its nonexistent brow and said to Di Jiufeng, “It looks similar, but also a bit different. But, honorable host, the fortune points you have left are just enough to purchase it. After today, the price will increase again.”

Di Jiufeng also took a look, nodded, and said, “It truly is a bit different.”

Compared to the slightly old-fashioned mandarin duck pouch tied on that soul’s waist, the one in the System store was exquisitely-made and brand-new, but for some reason, it was missing some sense of spirit. It was the exact same design of mandarin ducks playing in water, but the other one seemed so lively, the embroidered ducks nearly leaping from the surface.

[T/N: Mandarin ducks are a common metaphor for a happy couple.]

Di Jiufeng looked at it again, and finally decided to buy it while it was on sale.