53

Chapter 53: Where is This Place?
There was only one reincarnation pill.

Di Jiufeng knew that with Ning Guang’s temper, she would try to steal it by force. And she, for her own life, would not try to be polite and decline. She wanted the reincarnation pill. Even if she had to carry the weight of a life, plagued by nightmares day after day, she wanted to live on.

This was not anything she was unable to admit, she truly was this selfish and pragmatic.

Di Jiufeng looked at Ning Guang, blinked, then walked forwards, her sentiments unclear. She looked at Lu Yi. When she put away the furnace, she reached out her hand towards her. “Miss, you know the medical arts. Can you help me see if I am suffering from any major ailments? I have been short of energy recently, but none of several doctors I visited found any problems.”

Lu Yi did not refuse, and placed her fingertip on her wrist.

––Di Jiufeng’s pulse was tenuous and weak, like it could stop at any time. But the strange thing was, underneath this pulse hid a boundless life force. Though it was hidden and inert, it was still present.

This was an extremely contradictory pulse the likes of which Lu Yi had never seen before. She furrowed her brow and thought for a long while. After half a cup of tea’s time, her eyes flew open and she looked at Di Jiufeng in disbelief. “I’ve got it, I’ve got it! I’ve seen it before in Shifu’s notes, you…” At this point, her voice ground to a halt.

All the firelight in the stone room instantly went dark. The pill refinement furnace and the two people before them all disappeared into thin air.

The stone room became quiet and empty, the choking scent of dust in the air signifying that no one had entered this room for a long time.

Seeing everything before them disappear, Ning Guang furrowed her brow, but she did not panic. Taking Di Jiufeng’s arm, she squatted down to touch the oil grooves. They were dry and ice-cold, without a hint of warmth, some damp spots were even grown over with moss. Looking again at the stone tablet, though it was still whole, it had gained an air of disuse like an object which had long been away from human presence.

No one had come to this place for a very long time. Was what they had seen an illusion?

Ning Guang thought for a while, her gaze sweeping carefully over the floor. Suddenly, she saw a pearly-white object fallen at the foot of the stone tablet.

––It was a pill. Ning Guang sensed that this was the reincarnation pill. She tried to pick it up, but this pill was immovable, like it had grown into the floor.

“Hmph! Petty tricks!”

Ning Guang humphed and shot over a wisp of grey smoke. With a whoosh, the immovable pill fell into Ning Guang’s hands. Holding tight to the pill, Ning Guang whirled away, pulling her Shifu behind her in one smooth movement and circling around to the back side of the stone tablet.

Because they had been standing too far away, they had not noticed that there was a corpse lying behind the tablet.