Chapter Twelve

N O A H

Beneath the table the sensation of abidingly buzzing against my leg caught my wandering attention, which created the perfect opportunity for me to escape from the gauche situation I'm intertwined in

My eyes found Ocean's uncomfortable gaze, and also inconsolably the guy across from us, only difference, he looked incredibly arrogant.

Although, I wanted to stay and talk to them, I knew I had to take the call.

I squeezed Ocean's forearm while getting up and kept my voice firm, "I will be back in a second, just shout if you need anything."

One last time I narrowed my glare at the boy who couldn't keep his eyes off Wave. He doesn't have a chance.

"Uh hello?" I answered when I finally arrived to the scarce parking lot. "Yes, that's me."

The person on the other line informed me that they don't have enough lawyers to take on my case, but they do have a few interviews coming up and the earliest I can get a call back is on Monday.

For some peculiar reason relieved washed over me, because that meant, I had more time to push it at the back of my conscience.

"Thank you for telling me ma'am." Without exactly thinking, I pressed the red icon on my screen, completely forgetting that when people talk, I have to wait and listen.

In my case the woman had in fact said something back, but I missed it. Fuck. Do I call her back? And say what, no, I can't do that. This always fucking happens to me.

When I returned back into the diner, I saw the guy forcing his hand on Ocean's cheek who looked even more strained than he did before I left.

I rushed over to them, grabbing Calem's palm and slapped it down on the table causing everyone to look at us.

"Do not lay a finger on him." I warned as I leaned over the table, closing up in his appalled face. "I don't know if you're blind, but when someone backs up you back up. Do you understand me?"

By the expression on his face I knew, he was speechless and that angered me even more.

"Do you fucking understand me!" In sheer weakness, I gripped a fork lying on the table between my fingers and held it above the shivering dorsal side of his hand. "Calem, if you don't want a fork inside of you, I expect you to speak up."

"Ye-yeah." He forced a response from his blocked throat. "I understand." The statement was said in a quavering tone. "I'm really sorry Ocean. It will never happen again."

The fork dropped back on the table, in which the customers gasped and that only made me roll my eyes, "Leave."

"But-"

"I said leave Calem."

After he reluctantly left, I was left searching for a drop of emotion in my friend's unexpressive face.