Chapter twenty-two

Newt has been infected by the stupid flare, but we have a plan and Thomas is finally willing to pull Teresa in it. He leaves together with Newt while we stay at the head quarters. "So you two are finally a thing?" Frypan asks smiling.

"How would you know?" Gally asks looking from me to Frypan and back.

"You guys were literally behind the corner while talking." Brenda says pointing at it.

"Well in that case, yes." I reply.

"Can you guys maybe tell me what had happened in the time I wasn't around?" Gally asks sitting down. Frypan and I look at each other, nod and start explaining everything from WCKD to the scortch and the mission we had about two days ago.

When we finish Thomas and Newt finally come back with a blindfolded Teresa. They sit her down on a chair and Newt takes the bag of her head. She looks at all of us and finally at Gally. "G...Gally?"

Gally takes a chair and sits down in front of her. "You're gonna get us inside WCKD!" He says. Teresa looks at Thomas. "Why are you looking at him? Don't look at him, he's not gonna help you, look at me!" Gally replies.

"It's impossible to get inside there." Teresa says.

"That's why you're gonna help us." Gally adds.

"But you guys have..." Thomas stands up and cuts her off.

"Trackers, yeah." He says squatting down next to her holding a knife. "You're gonna help us with that too."

She agrees and cuts the trackers out of our necks. "She must've really enjoyed that." Frypan says.

Gally places a hand on mine. "Stay safe." He says. I rest my head against his shoulder and sigh.

"You too." I reply. Newt, Thomas and Gally put on some WCKD uniforms to blend in. Brenda and I get ready as well and Frypan takes his walkietalkie.

When I'm ready Gally looks at me and smirks

When I'm ready Gally looks at me and smirks. "Summer looking good." He says winking.

"Focus on the mission Gally." I reply smiling. He rolls his eyes and we get outside. It's dark but that may be just perfect. Brenda and I run to the busses.

We get inside one and sit in the front. Brenda grabs the steering wheel and smirks at me. "Oh gosh please Brenda tell me you can drive!" I say.

She starts the bus and starts chasing away which startles me for about a second. We soon arrive at the parking lot underneath the WCKD building.

"So, anyway, we gotta wait for the boys to come, let's play a little game." Brenda says smiling.

"Whatever, what game you wanna play?" I ask back looking at her irritated.

"How was it?" She asks. I look at her confused, she chuckles and continues: "How was the maze you come from?"

"Ow" I think for a moment before correctly answering. "Huge, you had the glade which was our safe spot in the middle of this huge maze." I say.

"It was scary and dangerous outside the safe walls of our happy little community. We held bonfires and had fun together." I reply. It makes me kinda sad, Frypan was right. After everything, I do miss the glade.

"Sounds like a whole lot of fun, being trapped with a group of hormonal teenage boys." Brenda says sarcastically. I roll my eyes. At that moment Gally comes back with all the children. They enter the bus.

"Where's Thomas?" Brenda asks worried.

"I thought he was here." Gally says. "Wait here, I'll get him." He says before running away again.

"I'm not going anywhere." Brenda says more to herself then anyone else.

"Bren..." I say looking at her desperate. She nods and I run outside the bus but she calls me back.

"Summer!" I turn around and look at her. "Be safe." I nod and start running again. At this point I'm happy of having a gun. I run around the place for just some moments before finally seeing a soldier.

"Hands in the air and walk slowly to me." He says pointing a gun to me. I do what he asks but once I'm close enough I kick him hard in the stomach so he drops the gun. I pick it up and smile.

"Give me your uniform mate, you won't need it anymore." I say pointing the gun at him.