Chapter 17

It was the night before Brandon was going to come over. I was wearing black Abercrombie lounge pants and a large white pullover. I wanted to play violin but it was raining outside.

I sighed, going downstairs to make tea. Also maybe to grab cookies. I was met with Dan in the kitchen. I sighed, we've been ignoring each other for weeks. It honestly sucked. I don't know what happened. I really wanted to become friends with him even though I knew I would never have a chance with him.

But didn't he try to kiss me? I chickened out. As I think about it, I should've kissed him, I shouldn't have gotten together with Brandon. But it was too late now, I was in love with Brandon, not Dan.

Brandon, not Dan.

Brandon, not Dan.

Brandon, not Dan.

Right?

My phone buzzed and I scrunched my eyebrows. I pulled out my phone and saw that I got a text from Emma. I opened it and read.

'Brandon's an asshole!'

'What do you mean?'

'Cheating, two timing bastard, that's what!'

'What?'

And then she sent a picture to me that made my heart break. I gasped and just barely keeping from dropping the phone. I stumbled backwards, tears fogging my vision. I landed into someone's arms and I don't care who's it was. I curled into their chest and sobbed.

I don't think I've ever felt so heart broken.

"What's the matter?"

Dan's voice broke through the ringing in my ears. I gasped for breath and hiccuped. I looked up at him, his concerned brown eyes. It looked as though he loved me, and that made me only sob more.

"I made a mistake Dan. I dated someone, trying to get over someone else, hoping to be happy and it turns out that he's, h-he's a cheating shithead!" I screamed, curling up more into myself.

He picked me up into his arms, trying to calm me down. He began to walk away. Damn he's strong.

He brought me up to my bedroom and laid me down. I curled up into my pillow, sobbing. I hurt all over, this is my first official heart break. I never wanted this to happen.

"This is the reason I sleep around. I get affection without being fucking hurt. I trusted the wrong person Dan. I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing to me?"

"Because I shouldn't have ignored my feelings for you when you obviously had feelings for me." It was quiet for a second, and even in my situation, I felt a bit better about admitting that.

I sat up, wiping my face. I opened my phone again and opened my texts with Emma. I opened the picture and showed it to him. It was Brandon kissing another person, some girl. Dan's eyes narrowed and darkened dangerously. "I'm going to fucking kill him."

"Let me break up with him first."

I called Emma. "You're doing it now?"

"No. Calling Emma." I waited for her to pick it up. I put it on speaker phone.

"Phil. I'm so sorry I showed you that but you deserved to know."

"I'm glad you told me. I don't like cheaters." I bit my lip. "God. I'm so stupid Emma."

"I am too. I trusted him too. He seemed so innocent. Even though I knew that you were falling for Dan I convinced you that Dan was an asshole and to go out with another asshole." I didn't dare look at Dan. "Actually they are both assholes and you should just be straight. I'd date you and take care of you," she said. I giggled.

"It's a shame that I like taking it up the ass." Emma laughed.

"Are you okay?"

"I should be. I mean, ever since I've started sleeping around I haven't felt that suicidal so it's not like I'm going to go hurt myself."

"Don't hurt yourself over him. Don't hurt yourself over anyone. Did you tell Adam and Dan yet?"

"Dan was the one that saved me from falling over and I haven't told Adam yet. I don't know who's reactions will be scarier. Dan's or Adams."

"Well we'll send Adam down here and Dan, Adam, and I will murder the fuck out of that boy."

I giggled. "And then don't forget my other ex."

"The crazy dude that watches you like your on the FBI's most wanted list?"

"Yeah. He'd probably eat Brandon when he's done." Emma laughed.

"I like this man."

"I don't."

"When are you going to end it?"

"Tomorrow. Can you stop hating Dan for one day and come with Dan and I to beat the living shit out of the bastard?"

"Dan's pretty strong. I'd totally drop everything I have against him if it meant I could beat someone up with him."

"Good because he's in the room and you're on speaker phone."

"Ooh, awkward." I glanced up at him. He was smirking, amused.

"Yeah." I hung up after we said our goodbyes. "Night Dan."

"Night." I waited until the door was shut before I snuck out onto the balcony with my violin. On my laptop I pulled up the sheet music for Cold by Jorge Méndez.

[which is actually a very sad song. It's best I think on the piano and violin instrumental]

I played, letting the sad, minor keys drift through the end. I felt my heart flaking, pieces falling off. My heart was spread out to everyone, I felt vulnerable. I wish I had someone to pick up the pieces.