Chapter 15

Remember Phil and Adam talk to each other in French. I'll indicate when they talk in English. The singing part they sing in English.

I needed to play violin.

I went out onto the balcony, it was about 9:30 so I couldn't call Adam. Playing the violin while Adam was on piano made me even happier. I sat on the stool and opened my case.

I pulled out the instrument and bow. I played the notes up and down. I stopped for a second, listening to the silence of the night. I could hear the talking throughout the house and I really hoped Dan wasn't in his room, as his window was under my balcony to the left.

I waited, holding my breath and shutting my eyes. This was a time for peace. I began to play Chopin Waltz in A minor. Obviously I could only play the violin part but that's why I wanted Adam. He made the waltz complete.

After that waltz I began to play the Merry Widow Waltz, which is my favorite waltz. I've been playing violin since I was maybe four years old. I remember at parties when the orchestra was playing my mother asked me which instrument I would like to learn and the violin struck out.

I loved the violin. I absolutely loved the sound of it. She hired a personal tutor for me and everyday after school I had lessons and practice. I put my heart and soul into violin. It is the only way I feel like I have some sort of connection to art and beauty.

I played the Merry Widow almost automatically. I knew the notes to this song by heart. It flowed through my fingers and made me calmer.

_Dan_

I paused my game. I heard slow music playing, not within the house but rather outside. I frowned and stood up, walking to the window. I opened it and stuck my head out, listening around.

I looked up at Phil's balcony where I could clearly see Phil on a stool, a beautiful violin tucked under his chin. My jaw dropped. He was amazing at the violin. His eyes were closed and his hair blew gently in the window. I recognized that the song he was playing was the Merry Widow waltz.

I smiled. He looked beautiful and I fell more hopelessly in love. I played the piano and I desperately wanted to play with him but he's mad at me and I'm mad at him. Instead of doing what I originally wanted to do, which was to get closer, we've grown farther because I couldn't keep my big, jealous mouth shut.

I watched as he changed the song, and he smiled slightly. It sounded like a lullaby that was probably in France because I've never heard it before. It was beautiful, peaceful. It put a smile on my face. He was so cute.

* Phil *

I sighed and lowered the violin. That was a good release and practice for now. I carefully placed the violin and the bow in the case. I locked it and then walked inside, shutting the doors behind me.

The next day, Adam called, asking to do a duet. I sighed. "Alright." I grabbed my violin case and laptop and went to the balcony. I placed the laptop on the stool and pulled out my laptop. "I haven't sang in so long."

"If you don't want to sing that much that's okay. Just on the chorus I want you to sing. Skyfall by Adele?"

I nodded. "I need to pull up the sheet music for it, so just wait a second."

"So do I." Adam chuckled. He started the beginning and I came in five measures later.

[bold letters are when Phil sings on his own]

"This is the end," Adam began.
"Hold your breath and count to ten
Feel the earth move and then
Hear my heart burst, again

For this is the end
I've drowned and dreamt this moment So overdue I owe them
Swept away, I'm stolen."

I cleared my throat and joined in with Adam, softly at first. I wasn't the best singer but it sounded good with Adam.

"Let the sky fall
When it crumbles
We will stand tall
Face it all together

Let the sky fall
When it crumbles
We will stand tall
Face it all together
At skyfall
At skyfall."

Then I cut off, focusing on the violin.

"Skyfall is where we start
A thousand miles and poles apart
Where worlds collide and days are dark
You may have my number, you can take my name
But you'll never have my heart."

Now it was the harmony part. He sang the chorus and I repeated.

"Let the sky fall, let the sky fall
When it crumbles, when it crumbles
We will stand tall, we will stand tall
Face it all together,

Let the sky fall, let the sky fall
When it crumbles, when it crumbles
We will stand tall, we will stand tall
Face it all together,
At skyfall."

And then Adam cut off.

"Where you go I go,
What you see I see,
I know I'd never be me,
Without the security,
Of your loving arms,
Keeping me from harm
Put your hand in my hand,
And we'll stand,

I stopped, letting him takeover before I continued the harmony.

"Let the sky fall, let the sky fall
When it crumbles, when it crumbles
We will stand tall, we will stand tall
Face it all together,

Let the sky fall, let the sky fall
When it crumbles, when it crumbles
We will stand tall, we will stand tall
Face it all together,
At skyfall

Adam did the last part, since he had a stronger voice than me.

"Let the sky fall
We will stand tall
At skyfall."

Adam finished it off and I brought down the violin. He smiled at me. "You are wonderful at violin."

"And you are so wonderful at piano." He smiled at me. Then in English Adam whispered, "I love you."

"I love you too."