Wolf Club

"Scott, what we have... it's... it's a blessing and a curse."

Scott stared at me, his eyes full of curiosity and nervousness.

"Werewolves are... are dangerous, and sometimes unpredictable. But a lot of us have learned to control it. Especially if you were born like us - like I was.

"That thing you saw... was an Alpha. We're Betas. Alphas become Alphas by killing other Alphas. But humans become werewolves through the bite of an Alpha.

"The night you went out looking for that body, you were bitten by the Alpha.

"When you're bitten, your body either accepts the bite, or you die. I- I've seen it happen once; her body couldn't take it, she just wasn't meant to be like us," I whispered, looking down at our joined hands.

"She was in pain, and... and she died. It was a horrible thing to watch," I shuddered involuntarily. "I wouldn't wish the pain I saw on anyone."

"Derek... am I going to die?" Paige whispered, her once vibrant blue eyes dull.

My brother looked up, noticing me hiding in the shadows of the staircase.

Looking into his pale green eyes, I saw all the pain that came with someone you love dying.

I saw it, and I would've taken it all away, if I could've.

He looked back down at the girl, nodding.

"Is that why your family died?" Stiles whispered, his caramel-colored eyes meeting mine. "Did the Alpha kill them?"

I shook my head once. "No. My family didn't die."

Stiles opened his mouth to speak, but quickly closed it, glancing at Scott.

He wanted to ask me what I meant, but somehow sensed that I would tell him on my own.

I was quiet for a few moments, before looking back up at my best friends.

"My family was murdered."

But I didn't tell him about the Argents.

*

"Stiles, you can't tell anyone about this," I told him, eyes narrowed.

My brother grinned, keeping his eyes on the road. "We get it, sis - what happens in Wolf Club stays in Wolf Club."

I stared at him with a blank look. Stiles raised an eyebrow. "It's a joke," he muttered, looking offended.

I smiled slightly. "I don't get it, Stiles," I told him from the backseat.

Scott grinned at me. "S'okay. I never get it," he teased, making me giggle.

"Oh, come on!" Stiles whined. "That wasn't even funny!"

•••