Argent

I stood in front of the house, smelling for the Alpha.

I took a cautious step forward, eyes narrowed. I partially shifted, feeling the gold that comes with being a Beta seep into my eyes.

I ran my tongue over my fangs as I took another step forward, and then a couple more.

Before I knew it, I was standing on the porch. I glanced behind me, making sure the coast was clear before darting back up to Laura's room.

I quickly grabbed the photograph of our family, with Peter and my siblings and my mom, gently slipping it into my backpack before creeping towards Cora's room.

It appeared untouched, and I sighed. I missed Cora, with her bluntness and loyalty. "Those boys are making you weak," she'd tell me. "And I'd love to punch Stiles in the face."

I smirked as I thought about her, gently closing the door to her room.

I stared at the closed door of Derek's room, my eyes narrowing.

Had it been like that before? With the door closed?

I took a tiny step forward, reaching for the handle. My fingers brushed the cold metal, and I twisted.

An image of Derek's face flashed in front of me, and I jumped back, eyes wide.

No. That wound was too fresh.

*

I jogged through the trees, dodging the trunks. My eyes were still gold as I listened for the Alpha, trying to catch a scent.

I gasped as I saw three guys standing in front of me, blocking my path. I skidded to a stop, a growl rising in my chest.

"Argent," I snarled, my nails growing into claws.

The man in front smirked, taking a step forward. I saw the thin wire just a second too late, a single scream leaving my mouth as I was flipped upside down, my foot dangling from a tree.

I snarled when Argent leveled a handgun to my forehead, raising an eyebrow. "This is a warning, Miss Hale. If you attack anyone, your dignity isn't the only thing you'll lose," he warned me.

"Better than losing my honor," I growled, glaring at him down the length of the gun.

I shrieked in pain when he shot a bullet into my shoulder, hissing through my teeth. "What the hell?" I spat, trying to pull myself up to cut the wire around my ankle.

"That's your warning. If you bite anyone, we will find out about it," Argent promised. I narrowed my eyes, giving up on getting free at the moment.

"I can't bite anyone, genius. That's what Alphas do," I rolled my eyes, secretly wanting to rip his head off his shoulders.

"Good thing there's one in town, isn't there?" He smirked, taking a step back. "It was nice talking to you, Hale."

•••