Chapter 16

Sariel learned to hide her true nature long ago. There was always something special about her, something different about her. She was smarter than the others her age; she didn't even show this side to her mother.

She silently eavesdropped on Bruce's and Alfred's conversation. She knew her mother was in trouble, so she searched the house for something to use to defend herself when they came for her. She acted like she was playing hide and seek with Alfred as she explored.

That's when she saw the grandfather clock the tick was slightly off, normally people wouldn't notice this. Sariel played with the clock until it swung open, revealing a secret passage. She silently snuck into it, closing the passage behind her so Alfred wouldn't find her.

Sariel was careful as she saw the Batcave in front of her; it took her only moments to connect the dots as she walked towards the equipment. Her mom couldn't know, Batman was too important and if her mom knew it was Bruce. Sariel couldn't think of that right now.

She grabbed a single Batarang and snuck back out into the manor. She immediately had to run as a mobster turned the corner.

"FOUND HER!" his voice echoed across the walls as she ran.

"It's tag now!" Sariel yelled with a bubbly laugh she had to show she didn't understand.

"The dumb kid thinks we are playing a game," another mobster chasing her yelled.

Sariel smiled. She was going to get away. She turned the corner and a pair of hands grabbed her and pulled her into the nearest room.

Keeping up the act "aww you caught me," she turned to see who grabbed her and her eyes widened.

"Batman? Is something wrong?" She asked surprised, but the surprise was how fast he got here.

"Stay close," he whispered.

Batman didn't want to scare her as he took her hand and slowly led her around the house. Sariel pretended to hide behind him as he walked. Everything was going smoothly, too smoothly.

That's when they walked right into an ambush. Gunmen stationed all around the room. C4 at all doorways. There was no way out.

"Remember, we need the girl alive," one gunman said as he blew the c4 behind Batman and Sariel.

Batman shielded Sariel with his body. The blow knocked him out and trapped her under his heavy body. She stayed calm and reached into his utility belt. She hoped she grabbed the right gadget as she stuck it in her pocket.

The men pulled Batman off of her and grabbed her roughly. Sinister smirks as they look at her so she puts on her mask.

"Why did you hurt Batman?" She said, sounding scared.

"Cause he was in our way. If you're lucky kid, you'll survive this," the man said before hitting her over the head, Darkness overtook her vision and her body went limp.

Batman awoke a few hours later in his bed, as Bruce Wayne. Alfred stood over him. A look of worry adorned his face.

"Master Bruce, thank goodness you're okay," Alfred said with relief.

"Sariel, where is she?" Bruce asked, sitting up, his head throbbing.

"She's been taken. As soon as Roshia heard, she vanished." Alfred said grimly.

Bruce frowned deeply. He failed, now the two new people in his life are in danger he needed to find them.