Chapter 15

Bruce welcomed Sariel inside and Alfred took the 6-year-old to the kitchen as Bruce stayed at the door to talk to Emily.

"Where is Roshia?" Bruce asked curiously

"Running late, probably caught another story she couldn't resist," Emily said. She hated that Roshia went the reporter route and not a ballerina.

"Story?" Bruce asked, confused

"She's a freelance investigative journalist, gets a big story and sells it to another reporter." Emily explained. "She should be here shortly."

Bruce nodded as Emily left. Bruce headed into the kitchen and saw Alfred trying to wrangle the rambunctious child. He let out a soft laugh. Sariel was cute and brought a new energy into his empty home.

The phone rang, and Alfred went to answer it.

"Wayne Manor," he responded.

"Hello, this is officer Gordon," a voice on the other end said.

"What can I do for you, officer?" Alfred said, a bit worried. Had the police found out about his employer's nightly activities?

"Is Sariel Saunet currently at your residence?" Gordon asked. He looked over at Roshia with worry.

"Yes she is, may I ask what this is about" Alfred said he looked at Bruce with worry

"Her life is in danger, please keep her there and safe. Her mother followed the wrong story," Gordon said.

"And what has become of Miss Roshia?" Alfred asked

"She's with me, I'll protect her while she heals," Gordon said before hanging up.

Alfred took Bruce aside and told him what he had found out. As Alfred expected, Bruce headed to the bat cave, leaving Alfred to deal with Sariel.

***

Roshia, now in stable condition, begins to show Gordon all the evidence she gathered. Batman was right outside the window, listening. Roshia knew he was there, Gordon, however, did not.

"And you confronted him?" Gordon said, exasperated.

"He was a friend, wanted to give him a chance. Didn't know he would try to kill me," Roshia explained.

"Well, I can't really arrest the mayor without proof," Gordon said with a sigh. "And no one would convict him, anyway. Even Dancer can't mess with authority."

"This might convict him," Roshia said as she played the recording.

Batman listened from outside as he heard the confrontation between Roshia and the mayor. His threat against her family. Then, the part that made him angry, he heard as Roshia gasped for air as she was being choked.

He felt something rise up inside of him. An urge to protect his new friend. He didn't want to lose another friend like he did with Rossy, and in this moment he understood why Rossy saved him.

She didn't fear death; she feared losing him. That fear turned into an act of self sacrifice to save the one she didn't want to lose. Now he was willing to do the same and had the skills to succeed.

Batman's comm system came on "master Bruce im afraid I have some bad news," Alfred said.

"What is it?" he asked

"Miss Sariel is nowhere to be found and there is an intruder in the house." Alfred said.

Batman spent no time heading back as fast as he could.