Chapter 14

Roshia was working right now. She is a freelance investigative journalist. It worked well for her other job and taking care of her daughter. Roshia walked into city hall. She was going to have dinner with Bruce in 3 hours, plenty of time for her to confront the mayor.

She entered the mayor's office, something she was allowed to do because she had become a friend to him over the years.

"Roshia? What brings you here so late?" He asked her.

"You're my friend, I figured you deserved the benefit of the doubt. I have gathered evidence over the last few weeks about. You're in the mob's pocket," Roshia said she had secretly started a recorder in her pocket.

"Roshia. I forgot how good you were, I didn't think you would find out." The mayor said with a sigh "your my friend so I'll offer you one choice, give me all your evidence then go home to your daughter and never speak of this again"

"And if I refuse?" She asked, raising her eyebrow.

"You and your daughter become famous for dying," he said darkly.

This wasn't the first time Roshia had been threatened. Threats wouldn't work on someone who was secretly a celestial.

"How about a counter offer, resign from office or I will sell this story to Vicki Vail." Roshia said as her eyes narrowed. She was serious.

The mayor didn't say a word as he stood still for a few moments. In a sudden rush of anger, he charged at Roshia and slammed her to the floor. Roshia had to keep her identity secret so she couldn't fight back.

The mayor crawled on top of Roshia and choked her. Her lungs screamed for air as she calmly brought her knees to her chest. When her vision began to black out, with all her remaining strength, Roshia pushed her knees into the mayor, flinging him off of her.

She coughed and gasped for breath as she felt something wet and warm run down her neck. When Roshia pushed the mayor off of her, his nails cut into her neck. He had torn open her external Jugular.

Roshia put pressure on her neck as she stumbled out of the office. She didn't have much time to stop the bleeding, and she had even less time to get away. As she left city hall she saw him, the new cop from Chicago, the good cop, Lieutenant Gordon.

"Officer!" She said with a raspy voice. She hoped he would hear her as she stumbled towards him.

Gordon turned around and couldn't believe his eyes. Roshia was well known in the Precinct, and not in a good way. She was very good at uncovering corruption and got many corrupt cops fired.

Gordon didn't hesitate as he picked Roshia up and ran to his police cruiser. He knew she probably pissed the wrong people off, so he didn't want to take her to the hospital. He stopped her bleeding and put on a temporary bandage.

"You're safe now, I'm going to take you to my home and get you patched up properly." Gordon said as he got into the driver's seat and drove away.

"The mayor... have evidence" Roshia said as she pulled out her recorder.

Gordon just drove silently. He would deal with that after her life was no longer in danger.

***

Emily and Sariel arrived at Wayne Manor, Roshia had told them she would meet them here. Bruce, Sariel and Emily were about to find out that Roshia had chosen the wrong story to pursue.