trippin'

Karamel POV

I was hanging out with Sammy at the mall with Aj, we was shopping actually.

"So have you talked to Quame lately?" She asks.

"Yeah actually, he said he was thinking of flying here for a few. Never spoke too much on it though." I shurg.

"You think he'll bring August?" She asks walking along side of me.

"He's smarter than that." I laugh.

"Girl Quame and the word smart don't even belong near each other." She shakes her head.

"Even if he did, I don't think August would come. He made it very clear it was then or never, and it doesn't matter. I'm with Christian and I'm happy." I roll my eyes.

It's been two years, why everyone wanna bring up August all of a sudden?

"What's with y'all?" I ask her stopping.

"Fine. I heard August coming out to New York for business, I thought it'd be a good time for you to tell him." She admits.

"The odds I even see him are so slim, and even if i did. I probably wouldn't tell him." I start pushing the stroller.

"Don't you think that's kinda selfish?" Sheasks.

I stop in my tracks.

"What's selfish is you always taking up for that nigga man, you supposed to be MY friend. He wasn't the one Sam, instead of reminding me daily let me move on with my life. I say before walking away.

I was frustrated, everyone always making me seem like the bad person.

They be acting like they living my life or some shit.

"Look Kara I'm sorry, I just think you should at least give them the opportunity to grow some sort of relationship. When Aj realize he's not Christians son, he gon have a lot of questions." She says.

"I appreciate it, but it's not gonna happen, if Aj wanna know August when he older, i'll give him  his information. Until then, he'll be straight." I assure her.

"Alright." She says.

We was walking when she stopped me.

"Is that not Christian?" She asks.

I follow her finger, seeing him enter a jewelry shop with some girl I ain't ever seen in my life.

"Who the fuck is that?" I ask.

"Oh hell nah." She ties her hair.

"Hold up, that's a ring shop." I stop her.

"Girl-" She gives me a look.

"C'mon." I wave her over.

I listened to their conversation from outside the shop.

"Do you think she'll like it?" He asks.

"It's a beautiful ring Chris, but are you sure you're ready for allat?" The girl asks.

I pull Samantha away.

"He's gonna propose." I panic.

"I heard, what's the problem?" She said wide eyed.

"I'm only 20, we've only been together a year." I look at her like she crazy.

"Or is it cause you still got feelings for someone else?" She raises her brow.

"Samantha don't start with me." I warn.

"Look you still even wear the ring he got you." She points out.

"Because that's the only thing Aj has of his as of right now." I remind her.

"It shouldn't be." She trails.

"CAN YOU JUST STOP? HE'S MY SON, NOT YOURS!" I snap.

"I'm just-"

"Well don't." I say bringing him to the car, he fell asleep. I put him in the stroller and wait for Sam before taking us home.

I took us home and we didn't speak to each other, I guess Jazmin felt the tension.

"What happened between y'all?" She puts her phone down.

"Ask ya sister." Samantha grabs the remote.

I smile at her sarcastically.

"Samantha being a bitch." I tell her.

"Excuse me?" She stands.

"Y'all chill out, what happened?" Jaz gets between us.

"She don't know how to stay the fuck outta peoples business." I mug her.

"I'm trying to help you." She says.

"I ask for your help." I squint at her.

"You clearly need it." She steps up to me.

"I don't need you Samantha, all I need is my son and sister." I step up to her.

"Remember those words." She says before leaving out.

"Damn." Jaz sighs.

"We don't need her bub." I lift Aj off the couch and go to his crib.

My phone started ringing and it was Quame.

"Wassup big bro?" I smile.

"Nun. How you been?" He asks.

"Shit i'm coolin." I say.

Outta nowhere Aj started screaming.

"Dassa baby?" He asks.

"No- I mean yes, i'm baby sitting for my neighbour." I lift Aj, rocking him.

"You lying to me?" He asks offended.

"Of course not." I rock Aj back to sleep.

"Ight, well i'm boutta pull up to Aug house, ima holla atchu later." He says.

"Does he ever talk about me?" I ask him.

"No on da daily, but every now and then. I was showing him Jazmin, made him tear up a bit how grown she is." He chuckles.

"Oh...well I'll let you go." I tell him.

"Ight bye." He says and hangs up.

I go in the living room and sit next to Jaz.

"Do you miss Orleans?" I ask her.

"Sometimes, but I've gotten used to New York. Why?" She asks putting her phone down.

"I was thinking maybe you- we could visit, you can see Kira and her mama and uh August if you want." I tell her.

"Really?" She smiles.

I nod.

"I'd love that." She agrees.

"I'll arrange it." I assure her.

"Arrange what?" Christian walks in.

I almost forgot about him- and the fact that he was planning to propose.

"We going back to New Orleans." I tell him.

"For what?" He raises his brow.

"To visit everybody." I shrug.

"You gon' bring Aj to meet that nigga ain't you?" He rolls his eyes.

"Really? "that nigga" is his father and no, that's not why we going. Like fuck, first Samantha now you? Is today something I don't know about? Because all y'all seem to be doing is talking about him." I roll my eyes.

He shrugs.

Ion know why everyone trippin' man.

Me and Aug done.