Chapter 16

"Good evening Mrs. Mason and welcome aboard. May I take your coat?" the pleasant stewardess greeted Belle the second she stepped on the aircraft.
She had never even seen an airplane let alone been on one before since she'd never traveled anywhere. However, she'd heard of the tight cramped uncomfortable seats and the bumpy liftoff and landings. Her stomach was slightly clenched hearing of the horrible death of Jackson's father and the thought of being on a plane was frightening.
"Thank you," she handed the stewardess her coat and kept her bag tightly glued to her hip. She finally looked up and a "Wow!" escaped with her breath.

This looked nothing like the tales she'd heard of and she felt her mind was playing tricks on her. This was a jet personally for Jackson yet it's as if she stepped into a living room with comfortable plush sofas on either side of a large flat-screen TV. On the other side were plush individual seating with outlets and laptops used for business purposes along with tables for eating. Even the bathroom was bigger than the one in her apartment and stocked with the softest hand towels and scented soaps.
"Only the finest things for the Masons," the stewardess commented observing Belle's reaction. "Welcome to the family." Belle looked over at her shocked to hear her acceptance of her.
"Shall I get you a glass of champagne before take-off?"
"Thank you, but why don't we wait for Jackson to arrive."
"Certainly, make yourself comfortable in the meantime. My name's Cassidy so if there's anything you need, don't hesitate to ask," she kindly said before leaving her be.

Belle sat down at the plush sofa and looked out the aircraft window. There were about a dozen employees scattering all around the hangar outside of the plane as if doing a mechanical check. She finally opened up her purse and took out her most beloved carry-on, her mother's old French dictionary and phrasebook that she'd been studying since Jackson invited her to Paris. Her nerves were running haywire in her head. She was nervous about the flight and also about the trip itself. The one weakness her books had instilled in her was they had the power to make the real world dull. She'd always wanted to visit Paris and read the captivating tales from her books, she hoped it would be everything she dreamed it would be and for once not be disappointed in the reality.

Her attention was taken to outside the plane by the dozens of employees. She looked out the window and saw a tall, dark and handsome Jackson Mason striding towards the plane. He looked fiercely dominant and all the employees straightened their stance in the presence of such a powerhouse. He talked with each one as they took him around the plane and it looked as if he was checking their work himself. How he knew so much about planes was simply fascinating to Belle. He finally stepped on board and Cassidy was waiting at the entrance.
"Good evening, Mr. Mason. Here are the aircraft's diagnostics for you." She handed him the papers and he silently looked through each page.
"Flying conditions?" he asked not taking his focus off the papers.
"They are clear, sir."
"Fuel?"
"We are carrying enough extra fuel in case we have to change course for an emergency landing," Cassidy answered.
"Very well, we're set to go." He handed her back the papers and Belle was blown away by his knowledge and due diligence. It must be out of fear and safety precautions due to his father but the nervousness she felt about flying had suddenly dissipated as he made her feel safe.

He took off his winter overcoat and handed it to Cassidy as she walked off. Belle noticed his white suit shirt was stained with drops of blood and she finally got a clear closer look at his face as he walked towards her.
"Oh my God! Jack! What happened?" she jumped from her seat throwing her mother's book down on the couch.
"It's nothing. I'm fine," he blew it off but she turned his face to look at her, analyzing his bloody swollen lip.
"Your lip is twice the size. Don't nothing me! Cassidy!" Belle called out getting her attention. "Can we please have a bag of ice!" Cassidy silently nodded as she saw the shape Jackson was in when she greeted him but knew enough to keep quiet.
"What happened?" Belle asked him once again sitting him down on the couch.
"I said I needed to handle some business before we left," he didn't want to elaborate so he wouldn't upset Belle.
"Business doesn't consist of a swollen bloody lip, Jackson!" Belle scolded as Cassidy handed her the ice pack and took her leave again. Gently placing the ice against his lip, Belle didn't let up as she waited for his explanation.
"It does when it's with Andre!" he sighed finding no way out of hiding the truth.
"You went to see Andre!" Her eyes grew wide and she felt her blood fuming Andre had done this to him. Jackson mistook her anger for anger on him and he cupped her face graciously looking in her eyes.
"I took care of it, ok! He won't be a problem anymore; not for you, not for your father." She tilted her head in question concerning her father.
"The eviction notice, I saw it and bought him out of your building," Jackson explained and in a shock, she backed the ice pack off his lip.
"Y-you..." she was astonished he even knew about the eviction notice in the first place and to go through all the great lengths and even buy the building was unfathomable.
"I-I don't even know how to thank you," she was at a loss for words and immensely grateful.
"It was one weak blow to the face. I'd take a beating to make sure he'd never hurt you." He gently stroked her cheek seeing she was in quite a shock from his gesture and words.
He wanted more than anything to kiss her like he'd been fighting to do for months now. But part of his mission to be a better man for her was to submit and not make the first move. If she trusted him, if she wanted him like he wanted her, if she was ready, he hoped she would give in and until then, he was at her mercy.