Chapter 14

The next coming days both Jackson and Belle were feeling better. He had been swamped with emails and phone calls due to missed work and Belle had gone back to her library and greenhouse during the day and her own bedroom at night. Jackson hadn't said anything to Belle but Marcel's words and perception of her hadn't left her mind.
"Good morning," she kindly said stepping into the kitchen seeing Jackson finishing his coffee before his first day back at the office.
"Good morning." They each exchanged a smile and quiet stare while both their stomachs secretly danced with butterflies.
"I, ummm," choking on the nervousness in his throat, he stuttered out his words. "I wanted to give you this so you could go shopping today."
Handing her his credit card, she looked up at him dumbfounded.
"What-why?" She looked at him puzzled before the thought dawned on her that Marcel had invaded his judgement. She shoved it back in his chest with a bite of sass to her words.
"I don't want your money, Jackson!"
"I-that's not what...I-I'm sorry, I just thought you'd like to get out of the house and go shopping for some evening dresses because-" he nervously scratched the back of his neck in a panic.
"Because why!"
"Because I have a business trip coming up and I was going to ask if you'd join me?"
"Why? Do I need to be there?" she asked knowing he said she'd be obligated to attend his business events once in a while.
"Well, n-no you don't have to, but...I hoped you'd want to come. After all, I never got to take you anywhere for a honeymoon." He stared at her with a twinkle in his eye while she was caught speechless he actually wanted her to come willingly.
"Oh, I-umm, wow! Th-that's really nice of you.Thank you."
"So, you'll come?" he felt the rise in his chest making his heart pump twice as fast.
"Yea! Where are we going?"
"Paris."
"PARIS!" Belle gasped in shock and there was no trying to hide his joyous smile at her reaction.
"So, here," he handed her his card again with a smile. "Buy anything you want. I called ahead already so they'll be ready for you."

She looked down at his card and seeing his name engraved on it reminded her of the lashing she got from the women during her wedding dress fitting.
"Do you think she's after his money?" the women's voices echoed in her mind bringing her back to that day.
"I, ummm," she handed him back the card already feeling just as embarrassed as that day.
"Thank you, but I'll just wear what I have."
"What's wrong?" Jackson questioned seeing her change in facial expression.
"Nothing."
"Alright, I can already tell something's wrong so you might as well just tell me." She turned her head every which way avoiding his gaze but he wouldn't let up and finally grabbed her chin lifting her eyes to meet his.
"Please tell me," he said tenderly. She exhaled a heavy sigh and with a scrunched face, recounted the tales of that day.
"When I went there for the wedding dress fitting....I walked in and they were certain I had the wrong shop just by simply looking at me." she said embarrassed as she hugged herself trying to shy away.
"Anything else?" he questioned reading her face knowing there was more, even though he was already outraged.
"A-and the seamstresses basically said someone like me would only marry you for money." She watched his jaw muscles tighten to the point she thought he might break a tooth. And what she didn't see were his fists clenched together too the point his skin turned white. He was furious she had been called names and had ever been looked down on and scrutinized at all.
"I'm sorry," she bowed her head shyly again and he lifted her face realizing she thought she offended him when she was the victim.
"Why would you be sorry!"
"I-" she looked sadly confused and perplexed and just in time for turning his angrily beating heart soft, the sun shined through the windows upon her face.

He still hadn't gotten used to the brightness of the sun filling the house back up with life. Life that she had brought. It's as if the Gods from above the clouds thanked her everyday by shining brightly against her face. It illuminated the red in her long auburn hair and it glowed along with her rosy cheeks and deliciously plump lips, making her beauty as striking as an enchanted rose. Warmth filled his heart again and the anger dissipated from his blood.
"How about I go with you and then we can grab lunch together?" he calmly suggested taking her by surprise yet again.
"O-ok."
"Great," he said with a smile. "Let me just make a call first and then we'll go."