Chapter 48 •~ Pushing Past the Walls

Chapter 48 

   •~ Pushing Past the Walls

Or do you think that you will enter Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty and ailments and were so shaken that even the Messenger and those who believed along with him said, “When (will come) the Help of Allah?” Yes! Certainly, the Help of Allah is near! 

(Quran 2:214)

                     *****

“All these years I was under the assumption that my child is not interested in marriage for no reason at all but little did I know that there was a strong yet veiled reason behind the feigned disinterest which my child has been successfully hiding it from me.”

They were sitting down on the table for breakfast, Hera glared at the man sitting across the dining room and sniffed hearing at what grandma just said.

“So who’s going to narrate me the story, and when? I want to know everything from the beginning. Given the attitude of Yama towards marriage all these years I think it starts well from the school days and I want to know it all”.

Hera gulped nearly choking on her food at her words.It could be said that the grandma bore the news of her grandson’s “love affair” with a distinct lack of alarm and over all much more clam than anybody else. Hera switched her attention back to the man to see, he was comfortably sitting on the table, arms crossed neatly over his broad chest as if enjoying his favorite speaker speaking in the background.

“Hera is very good at the narration maa” Yama spoke in a breathy voice, his tone containing a hint of playfulness to it, just enough to successfully goad his wife.

Yama’s smarmy tone riled her already and his response made her fiercer. She glared at him directly hoping her face wasn’t bright red with embarrassment and anger.

The metal legs of the chair screeched as Yama rose to his feet. In a few short strides, he stalked across inside to the room to get ready for office.

“What was that”? She stormed into the room and held his gaze in an unbreakable prison.

“What was what”? he asked with the same poise and calmness.

“Why are you entertaining that false assumption”? she asked ignoring his collected-ness and her agitation.

“She’s under a good impression and I don’t see any harm in entertaining that besides you have another week off from office so you can pick up the habit of storytelling”. He said with a smirk playing on his lips.

Without warning he planted his hands on her shoulders, which were surprisingly very warm.

Hera shuddered at the sudden surge of blood that rushed through her.

In one rapid movement she wrenched her shoulders from his grasp and took a large step backwards, distancing them as much as humanly possible. Not bothering to register the stunned expressions on his face, she dashed out of the room as quickly as she had stormed in.

...

"One of the best moments for self reflection according to me is when the blanket of darkness has covered the sky and when the first ray of sunlight graces the earth, announcing the coming of a new day.There is simply so much beauty in these moments and a great lesson for us to hold on to live a peaceful and flourishing life.

Life is divided into two parts : the period of struggle and the period of achievement. The period of struggle is like night and the period of achievement is like day. SubhanAllah this natural phenomenon of day and night is a perfect analogy for the ups and downs in our life,it symbolizes the succession of positive and negative moments, as mentioned in the Qur'an .