Chapter 59

I continue staring at the ceiling with my mouth slightly agape, thinking about what Derek just did to me.

He lays next to me and he pulls the blanket over us.

"Did you enjoy it?" he asks despite seeing me come and the way he made me feel. Isn't it obvious?

I look at him and I smile, I give him a quick peck on the lips.

"You are way too good at it," I admit a bit jealous. Where did he learn all of this?!

"Are you jealous?" he whispers in my ear and I roll my eyes.

"No, you are here with me," I say as I search for his hand under the blanket and I hold it.

He sits up and supports himself with his elbows as he stares at me.

"Why are you staring?" I ask him without breaking eye contact and he smiles.

"I'm glad you are here," he mutters and I notice a hint of sadness in his voice.

"And I mean that you are alive," he says and I break eye contact.

"Promise me that you won't do cocaine anymore. You need to stop," he says and I continue staring at the ceiling.

"Promise me, Veronica, please," he begs me and I finally look at him. His eyes are slightly glossy and I feel an emotion I never felt before.

I don't dare to think about it but it's a weird feeling, I just know I want to be with him forever, I feel it with all my soul and my mind, I want to be with Derek, and the sole thought of losing him makes my heart sink to my stomach.

It's crazy how much Derek changed me, months ago I would have just left if someone told me this.

How much I changed in a year.

"I promise," I say while I caress his face with my hand.

~

I cleaned up myself and I fell asleep cuddled up to him. The hardest thing is leaving his bed the next morning.

I want to stay here forever.

He puts on a shirt and I pout, I want to see more of him.

Derek comes to me and he kisses my forehead, he makes us a coffee and I drink it while staring at him.

I can't take my eyes off him. I sip from the coffee and he smiles. I also look around the apartment, it's small but nice. I'm glad he doesn't live with Shanice anymore, it's for the best.

Because I'm jealous.

"I have so many questions..." I mutter and he looks at me, finishing the coffee.

"If you ask a question, you will also have to answer one," he says and I roll my eyes playfully.

"I'll take that risk," I say bravely, but nervous if he asks me something related to my trauma. "Why didn't you make it to rehab?"

"I was on the way there until Felix stopped me. I had to go with him because he always threatens me and it's either that or..." he explains and I flinch when I hear Felix's name. I'm so tired of that man.

He notices when I flinch and he puts his hand on my arm.

"It's gonna be ok. Don't worry," he says and I swallow the knot in my throat.