Chapter 33

Derek's POV

A few weeks later

I park the car in front of this sketchy cabin, I haven't been here in years. The last time was when I was nineteen years old.

I used to do a ton of shit I regret now. I sold drugs to everyone—never asked for age, I would have done it regardless. I was always high on coke or weed.

I don't think there was any day I was sober, too.

I was at my lowest point and I feel like a shitty person because of it. I ruined many lives and I ruined mine. Shanice did what no one else ever did for me, she slowly and patiently saved me.

She stood by my side even when I was pushing her away. She accepted me into her home with open arms when I had nowhere to go, and I recovered from my addiction.

She is my only family.

"I knew you'd come back in business, man." Felix laughs, patting me on the back.

"You called me to talk about that issue," I spit at him and he shrugs.

He always threatens to call the cops on me if I don't help him. I don't even need to do anything illegal, his men will take care of that.

"Lemme get this straight, you either help us or go down with us." His tone goes from funny to serious, and it doesn't scare me at all. I am just disappointed to be sucked in this all over again. But it's the last time.

"It's very simple, you scare him into not snitching, you know how," he says and I sigh.

"I'm not the same person I was be-"

"I don't care about your motivational 'I'm a better person' shit. You won't be shit in jail." He spits on the ground.

"Maybe it's time to pay for what we did," I mutter as if I don't care about anything.

"You are funny, Derek." He laughs sarcastically and I walk inside with him.

"Who is he? Why me?" I ask curiously. They always had someone else to beat up the people who wanted to snitch.

"He is a guy who goes to your parties. He might cooperate if he knows you."

"What's his name?"

"Alexander Williams," he answers and my eyes widen.

Oh. The guy Veronica slept with and the guy who has been 'my friend' for a few years. We used to do a lot of drugs together. The difference is that he never stopped.

I haven't heard anything about Veronica in weeks, all I know is that she is missing and her mother called the police but they didn't take much interest in it as they think she ran away with a boy. She also didn't attend her dad's funeral.

I hate to admit it but I'm so worried about her. I just want to know she is alive and okay. She must be so heartbroken over her dad.

He offers me a cigarette and I take it, although the last time I smoked was two years ago.

"I'll just talk to him. Why does he even want to snitch on you?"

"No, man, not only me. I don't give a shit you are out, as long as you are alive you will always be part of it when we need you," he threatens me, and my jaw clenches.

The only reason why I'm not giving myself in is because of Shanice. She worked so hard to get me on the right path and... I genuinely believe I got better, it would feel like betrayal to her.

If she knew about this...

"I won't need violence with hi-" I get interrupted by someone walking in.