Chapter 53

"How are you feeling, miss Reeves?" the therapist asks while I press my nails into the palm of my hand.

"Just call me Veronica," I say with bitterness and she nods.

"It's been a month since you arrived. I think you are becoming more comfortable."

"You think that? You know what I think?" I inhale deeply. "That you are bullshitting me," I snap at her and she doesn't even flinch. No reaction, nothing at all.

"Do you want to talk about your constant panic attacks?" she asks in a gentle tone after a few minutes of silence.

I scoff and she smiles warmly.

"I don't think you understand the gravity behind your actions-"

"What? That I did coke once or twice?" I spit annoyed. I didn't do cocaine every day. I'm fine. I should be home now.

"It's a miracle that you are here today, Veronica," she says and I roll my eyes.

I'm fine.

"You don't get it. A few more minutes and you would have died. You didn't consume drugs only once or twice," she says in a sympathetic tone and I finally look up at her.

"Ok. So what?" I ask her disinterested.

I don't care. I always wanted to die but it wasn't intentional, not this time.

"Why do you not care?" she asks genuinely curious.

"I- " I take a deep breath so I think before I say something I will regret. "It's not your business."

"Time's up," I say while looking at the clock and I stand up before she says anything.

I hate therapy. She doesn't care about me. She is just paid to do so.

I wipe away the single tear right as I close the door.

"I don't care..." I murmur trying to convince myself.

My annoying roommate passes right by me and she stops when she sees me.

"Therapy? Probably the worst thing here," she says and gives me a half-smile.

I don't understand this girl, I don't understand if she is genuine and what is wrong with her?

"Let's eat together," she says snatching my arm and I don't protest. I've been eating way more here than at home.

We walk into the lunchroom and I sit in front of her.

"I was too mean to you, I don't know why. I'm just not used to roommates," she says and I can hear her french accent.

She sounds like she has lived here for a long time, she seems French but I'm not convinced.

"But you are going to be very helpful and I'll return the favor," she continues. Here it comes.

"How-" She cuts me off.

"Don't speak before I'm done," she spits and my eyes widen. What the fuck?

"Look, let's start again." She smiles.

"I'm Irène." She sips from her glass of water. "Irène Leroy." She smirks.

Her last name sounds so familiar but I can't quite understand from where.

"I'm Veronica Reeves," I say and she looks uninterested.

"I know. Let's get straight to the point."

How does she even know?

"I need to escape. And you are going to help me," she whispers and I shake my head.