Chapter 55

Right when the nurse asks, Irène appears behind her.

"I brushed my teeth," she says showing the toothpaste and toothbrush and I breathe a sigh of relief.

Fuck, I also need to make myself look a bit more decent.

We sit at the desk and the nurse leaves while we pretend to study until Martha finishes cleaning.

I hand Irène the key under the desk and I dry off my hands on my pants. I have never been this scared before.

"Good job, you are studying a lot," Irène says to me in a sarcastic tone and I understand she is talking about the plan.

Martha looks at us and she finishes cleaning the room. She tells us good night and she leaves.

"She has a few other rooms," Irène explains and I nod.

I stand up as quickly as the door is closed and I grab a chapstick, toothpaste, and a hairbrush, and some better-looking clothes.

I don't want to look like a train wreck after I haven't seen him in a month and I know I look different because of this place.

"Aw." Irène knows what I'm trying to do and she laughs.

"He isn't worth it," she says and I stop before opening the door and I look deeply into her green eyes.

"What's your problem? You don't even know him!" I say and she shrugs.

"I'm always right," she says and I scoff, smashing the door behind me.

I walk to the bathroom and I brush my teeth and comb my hair, apply a bit of light makeup and change my clothes. Nothing fancy but I look way better.

When I walk back to the room she doesn't even give me enough time to arrange the stuff back to how they were and she grabs my hand.

We leave the room as it was, lights turned on, books all over the bed and desk as if we are still studying and music.

It's barely eleven pm and I hope Derek got here.

She grips my arm tighter and forces me to follow her through the hallway.

Another door is open and I assume it's Martha cleaning. We walk quietly past it and as soon as get near the stairs, we run downstairs.

"God. I hope no one catches us," I whisper and Irène hisses at me.

"Shut up."

We finally get to the exit door and my legs are shaking, I could probably just faint and stay on the floor.

She opens the exit door without even looking back and we walk out, but a guard way older than us gets right in front of us.

"Where do you th-" He stops himself when he notices Irène. He looks her up and down.

"I could get fired," he says and I take a few seconds to look better at him as the dull light is shining on his face.

He must be in his late twenties but I'm not sure. He looks too old for her.

"Oh, come on, you did worse things that could get you fired, even arrested," she says in a flirty tone as her hand touches his arm, leaving it there for longer than necessary. Well, not necessary at all.

The last two words also seemed a threat.

I wish I could unhear her words.

"Is she leaving too?" A few curls of dirty blonde hair fall on his forehead but he doesn't brush them off.

Irène shakes her head.