Chapter 41

"James-" I whisper while he enters with Olivia.

What the fuck? Dominic promised me he wouldn't come.

I make my way through the crowded room so he can't see me. I need to find Dominic and tell him to throw him out. It's my party and I don't want him here, otherwise, I'll leave too.

I remember I was supposed to call my mom when I arrive so I first dial her and tell her I'm safe and that I'll probably come late.

Shortly after I call Dominic and he doesn't pick up.

Fuck, this idiot.

I take another glance at my reflection and I still like what I see. Surprisingly.

I gather the courage to go outside and look for someone, anyone, it doesn't matter.

Then I recognize Derek's door, I know this bathroom is near his room. Maybe I could go to him?

I knock on the door and no one replies so I don't continue. He might be busy, or maybe he is angry at me for not replying for so long and he doesn't even want to see me-

Ugh, so many thoughts. I need another drink.

I walk to the kitchen cautiously and I don't see James or Olivia, they are probably fucking in some random room.

I notice Alexander pouring another drink and I do the same.

"Veronica, happy birthday!" he exclaims while he pulls me in for a hug which makes me quite uncomfortable.

Too many hugs in one night and I just want to be hugged by Der-

No, I don't, shut up.

He probably got so tired of me...

"Thank you..." I mutter and as I break the hug, I see Derek walking in, coming from the hallway.

So he probably was in his room... or maybe with another girl. What if he was with Olivia?!

I hate how jealous he makes me feel.

Derek notices me pulling away from Alex's hug and he seems annoyed but I decide to go to him anyway.

"Hey..." I mutter and he doesn't even look at me.

"Hi," he barely replies and I get a weird sense of emptiness in my stomach. Did I do something wrong apart from ignoring him?

"How are you?" I try to make conversation but it makes it even more awkward.

"I'm good. Happy birthday, by the way," he says and I smile warmly while he doesn't smile back. What's wrong with him? So many questions.

"Uhm- thank you," I murmur as he keeps drinking from the cup, which seems vodka.

I walk to the kitchen counter and I pour another glass of tequila, I need to keep drinking or I'll go insane. This night isn't like I was expecting it.

Oh, fuck, I need to find Dominic and tell him about James.

Then I finally see him, he is dancing with that brunette girl who talked shit about me. I'm surprised and annoyed they attend these parties, so the gossip must come from someone I know.