Care | خیال

Zohaib entered the Durrani house, with a loosened tie around his neck, rolled up sleeves up to his elbows, and a coat placed on his forearm. The house was as silent as a grave. He glanced at his watch, it was almost three o'clock in the afternoon and his stomach was screaming for something to eat. He got free from the meeting late than he has expected. He hurriedly climbed the stairs and walked into the room quietly. 

He took off his watch and placed it along with his coat on the bed while his eyes moved towards Zahra and Faryal who were sleeping. He unfastened the tie around his neck and kept it above his coat on the bed, and sneaked into the bathroom.

Faryal was half asleep with her hair spread on the pillow when Zohaib walked into the washroom. She could feel his presence in the room. Her eyelids drooped and she drowsed. She stirred and finally opened her eyes starred at Zahra, her soft snores were audible. A smile appeared across her face. She pulled the stray hair away from her eyes as she propped herself up on her elbows, kissed Zahra's cheek and muttered "Mera bacha".

She was lost in her thoughts when Zohaib came out of the washroom freshly showered. Their eyes locked for a moment and then she carefully sat down on the bed, grabbed her hair in both hands, and swept it back, tying it in a loose knot. She picked up the dupatta and adjusted it on her left side. He came forward and laid down on his stomach on the bed, while his legs were hanging at his side of the bed.

"Assalam-u-alikum", She said in a hushed tone. She hugged her knees to her chest and rested her cheek on one knee.

"Walikum Assalam", He replied in the same tone with his eyes fixed on his daughter.

He softly kissed Zahra on her forehead and then dropped kisses over her whole face, hands, and feet. She made a soft noise, cuddling closer to her father.

"Zohaib no, you will wake her up. She is tired, barhi mushkil say sulaya hai aj", Faryal whisper yelled with wriggled eyebrows.

"Hmm", Zohaib hummed but kept cuddling Zahra. Zahra opened her eyes and yawned. She blinked up at her daddy with a straight face. Zohaib grinned and kissed Zahra's hands again.

"Why are you so serious, han? I guess you missed your daddy a lot today", Zohaib asked Zahra with a smile, the kind of smile which showed longing.

"Because her daddy disturbed her beauty sleep", Faryal corrected him and rolled her eyes.

"If you are going to make her sleep at that time when I come home, I'll wake her up every day. The choice is yours either make her sleep before or after my arrival, or I won't let her sleep.", Zohaib said looking at Faryal and then shifted his eyes towards Zahra again. He rolled over and placed Zahra on his abdomen.

Zohaib was playing with Zahra, his hunger long forgotten now. The room was filled with both father-daughter voices. Suddenly they heard a knock at the door. Faryal stood up from the bed and opened the door. Mom was standing in front of her with a tray in her hand. Faryal slightly moved aside, mom came inside followed by Faryal.

"Zahra's awake?", Mom said looking at Zahra who was sitting on her daddy's abdomen.

"Assalam u alikum mom", Zohaib said and sat up straight.

"Walikum assalam", Mom replied.

"Why did you trouble yourself, mom. I was about to go and bring food from the kitchen. You should take some rest", Faryal said taking the tray from mom.

"Rest? how can I rest when I know you haven't eaten anything. Zain said you will eat with Zohaib, that's why I was waiting for him. You wait for him every day that's okay, but today you really made me worried Faryal. A mother can never rest when her child is in misery.", Mom said genuinely. She looked troubled.