"This is too risky. It would be better if she left with you," the guard whispers and we both shake our heads in disapproval.

I can't leave, I have nowhere to go and I'd eventually be caught.

"I'm only staying for ten minutes," I explain and he sighs.

We walk to the backyard and it's massive, the fences also seem taller than I expected. Irène turns to me with a big smile.

She quickly wraps her hands around me and it's taking me a few seconds to realize she is trying to hug me and not murder me.

"I didn't like you that much at first but you helped me so, maybe we'll meet again," she says in a lower tone and I nod exchanging her hug.

Irène lets go and I murmur to her, "good luck."

"You will need it." She winks before turning her back to me and she walks to the tall fences. She doesn't even stop for a second to think, she climbs it so fast I'm impressed. It's like she is used to this.

I go closer to the fences and I remember what I told Dominic, I hope he explained it well to Derek.

I hear a car pass by on the other street and my heart starts racing.

I'm so excited but so nervous to see him. I missed him.

I'm starting to realize how attached I have grown to be to him.

The sound goes away and I sigh disappointed, I let my head down for a few seconds but then I remember to look behind my back.

I take a few looks around the backyard but there isn't anyone and I breathe a sigh of relief.

"I don't want another month here," I mutter to myself and I continue looking at the immense fences in front of me.

I press my back against the fence and I look at the stars for a few minutes. I wonder what my dad would say about me, I think of him so often.

I doubt he would even approve of Derek, maybe because of the age difference, or his past.

But I know Derek better than anyone. I think I'm a better person than I was back when I first met him. Slightly.

We fought right before I overdosed, I thought I lost him forever.

Risking everything so I can see him for ten minutes, I just hope he comes.

It feels like ten minutes already passed and he isn't here. No car passes anymore and Irène didn't leave the phone here, I can't even check up on Dominic to see if Derek is near.

I'm starting to worry as I wrap my hands around the fence bars and try to peek through it better.

Nothing.

What if he doesn't come? What if he is truly done with me? What if something happened?

I try to take a few deep breaths in and relax my mind and my body because it tensed up.

I have no idea what time is it but it seems like it's been already too long, if I don't go back now they will find me. Not even the guard will be able to save me.

I should wait a bit more because once I get back inside, I won't get any other chance.

The deep breaths aren't helping anymore as I realize it's been too long. I need to go back in. Now.

I look through the fence bars again and my legs start shaking, I feel like I'm glued to the grass.

What if he comes right as I leave? I need to give him a bit more time no matter the risk.

Dominic said it's a long ride. I know Derek wouldn't lie to him about wanting to meet me and then not come. I know he wouldn't.

I repeat the last phrase a hundred times to try to convince myself but I'm not so sure of it.

I tap my fingers on the fence and every time a car passes my heart skips a beat, I try to get on my tiptoes to see if it's him.

"Veronica Reeves!" a woman yells my name and I feel a bunch of lights on me and steps running towards me.

I start feeling like I can't breathe, I touch my chest and I try to slow down my heartbeat by aching for air for a bit. I don't dare to turn around as they reach me and one of them touches me.

I got caught.

~

They didn't even walk me back to my room, they immediately sent me to the office and they talked to my mom.

My mom wanted to talk to me but I refused and I sat on the chair, waiting for them to decide what to do with me while questioning me about Irène.

I decided to not tell them anything about her, I pretended to not know what they are talking about and lied that I needed a breath of fresh air.

They didn't buy it.

My eyes filled with tears and they thought it was because I got one more month in therapy.

No, it was because Derek didn't come. It broke my heart to think that he is done with me and that I won't have any chance to contact him again for another month.

I don't know if something happened to him or he just didn't want to come, but I know I'm going insane here and he was my last hope to get through this hell.