Breaking Ties

I fought with Jane all night long, apologizing about ditching her after school and choosing a boy over her. She eventually forgave me but then got mad again when I told her he asked me out and she did not need to pick me up in the morning.

"So your just throwing me aside." She yelled. "You met this boy two minuets ago and now he is the most important thing in your life." She added.

"No, but I really like him and he likes me. Its not like we are getting married, we are dating that's all and he wants to pick me up. Why cant you just be happy for me?" I asked, I sounded exhausted, I hated fighting with her, I was non confrontational so fighting took everything out of me.

"What! How dare you say that. Of course I'm happy for you, but you need to think about what is happening. He comes along randomly and now its all about him. You don't think its weird he chose you over me. He must have some weird issue he's hiding." She shot back at me. I was used to her saying things like that to me, about someone needing to be insane to find me attractive and not her. I normally just brushed it off, but this time I was angry. There was nothing wrong with Matt for liking me.

"GOD! You are so jealous that he found me attractive and not you. That's it, you cant handle that a girl that looks like me can have someone like him. How can you call me your friend, all you do is put me down! You don't care about me, you only care about you and you don't care if you put me down while picking yourself up. I'm done, either be happy for me, or don't talk to me." I yelled in the phone, tears running down my face.

"What! That has nothing to do with it. He is not even attractive, I'm saying you are being selfish, you have not even hung out with him for a day and already giving up our time for him, do you even care about me." She was trying to force her self to sound sad, but I had heard it so many times I knew she was lying.

"Stop it! Stop with the fake emotions. Be happy for me and tell me congrats for this great thing happening to me, or leave me alone." I said back into the phone. I knew if she continued to argue I would lose the fight inside me and give in to her demands. She was quite for a while, probably using this time to think of another lie to get me to beg her to forgive me. Finally she spoke.

"Fine. Bye." She said hanging up the phone. I could not believe it, I was in shock, the silence on the phone was defining. How could she not be happy for me? I dropped the phone and laid on the floor in the ball crying. We had fought before in the past but we never hung up the phone without making up. I laid there crying for a while. I was confused about what exactly I was crying about. Was I sad because I just lost my best friend? or was I sad about the years of mental abuse I had been put through by the hands of someone who I thought loved me. Whatever reason I was crying about didn't matter, all that mattered was it felt nice to cry to let it all out.

The next morning Matt was out side of my house waiting to take me to school. His hair looked wet and his eyes seemed tired. I hope he did not get up early to come pick me up. I woke up early to make sure I was done up properly. I had noticed when I got up that my eyes were still red from crying and the bags under my eyes stood out more then normal, I tried covering them with make up but I was unsuccessful. I had put on my new underwear and t shirt I bought at the mall. I had picked out two shirts one black and one red, Matt commented that he like the red the best so I wore that today. I tried to do something special with my hair, but like normal it was uncooperative and just laid flat and straight against my head. I checked the mirror thousands of times before I heard Matt pull up into the drive way. When he arrived I ran down stairs and out the door.

"Good morning." I said meeting Matt a the passenger door.

"Good morning, how did you sleep." He asked helping me into the car. I waited to answer until he got into the driver seat.