Chapter 23

Semi's POV

I dropped Shirabu off before heading home myself. I wouldn't have minded staying with him tonight, but he wouldn't stop talking about those kids. I knew that getting to spend time with some kids would only make things worse. And it did. Now Shirabu couldn't stop thinking about it, and he blabbed about it the whole car ride.

I don't know what to do about this. He really seemed adamant on this, but it was going to fucking suck for me. I really don't like kids. At least not if I have to be the one putting up with screaming fits over a toy and stuff like that. I mean, I don't know. Shirabu did say that I wouldn't have to help him, but still, I know he'll ask for help. And I guess I would help... of course I would.. But I wouldn't be very happy about it.

Once I got back home, I saw Shirabu had texted me.

Shirabu: Hey the place we went to is gonna have another volunteer thingy next weekend. Can we go??

Me: What is it going to be?

Shirabu: Their website says that it'll be an afternoon one. Something about taking them to the park

Me: When is it?

Shirabu: Sunday at 2

Mm... I really didn't want to go. Last thing I wanted to do was spend my weekend in the hot sun watching kids scream and throw rocks at each other. But, even though I don't want to go, Shirabu could still go.

Me: I don't think I can go

Shirabu: You can't???

Me: No, I'm sorry, But you can still go

Shirabu: Yeah, but I wanted us to be able to go together, it would be fun

Me: Sorry baby boy, but I can't. But I think you should go

Shirabu: I still might. Oh well. If your Sunday is free though, you're more than welcome to come!

Me: I'll keep that in mind

Shirabu: Okay! I'll talk to you tomorrow

Me: Alright. Goodnight baby 

Shirabu: Goodnight <3

I sighed and tossed my phone aside. I felt a bit bad lying. But I reallyyyy don't want to go. Even without me there though, Shirabu will have fun. In fact, he'll probably end up enjoying it more than the kids.

Sunday: Shirabu's POV

I'll be honest, I was really disappointed that Semi couldn't come today. It felt strange going somewhere without him honestly. Everyday for the past like, well, since we first met, he's gone everywhere with me and has always been at my side. But if he was busy, nothing I could do about it. Nonetheless, I was excited about this though. 

When I arrived, the same woman as before greeted me and explained basically the volunteers were here just to make sure all the kids were safe. And if any of them got hurt, there was a little pack by the picnic tables with bandaids and such. 

I spent some time around the other kids, but soon I saw that same little girl as before sitting alone. I walked over and sat next to her in the grass.

"Hi."

"Hi."

"What're you doing over here by yourself?"

"I'm tired." She said, making me laugh faintly.

"You're tired already? We just got here."

"I was awake late."

"You were?"

"Uh huh."

"Why??"

"I had some really scary dreams." She said with a yawn. I frowned slightly, feeling awful. I knew what that was like. I still knew what that was like.. But at this point, I wouldn't wake up from my nightmares. I was just stuck in them until morning...

"Do you want to tell me what the dreams were about..?" I asked gently, the little girl shaking her head. I nodded, letting her keep her privacy when she leaned against me. It caught me by surprise a bit, but I didn't stop her. I wish I knew some kind of children's story to tell her. The only things I learned in school were "classics" and I don't think any of those would interest a kid. 

"Hey, why don't you go play with some of the other kids? Maybe it'll wake you up a little." I suggested, but just got a shake of her head.

"No one likes me."

"What? I'm sure that isn't true."

"All the other kids make fun of me and say mean stuff."

"Like what?" 

"They said no one is gonna adopt me cause I'm weird." She said with a huff. I furrowed my brows slightly, biting my lip. I gently ruffled her hair, making her laugh.

"Oh baby girl, don't listen to them." I said, the girl hugging my side. After a little bit, she felt better and I watched her get up and run over to the playground in the park where most of the kids were. I dusted my pants off before quietly walking over to the woman who I knew was in charge of the children's' home.

"Is everything alright Mr. Shirabu?"

"Yeah, everything is fine. Um, may I ask a few questions... regarding adopting?"

"Of course!" 

"So.. I was interested in adopting... And, this might sound dumb, but, am I able to "choose" if I were to adopt???"

"We try not to call it "choosing", but, basically yes."

"Right, sorry. Um, how long would it take to be able to adopt?"

"The processing takes between 6 and 18 months."

"....Really?" I mumbled. That was a long time..

"Yes sir."

"How likely is it to be closer to 6 months..?"

"Depends sir."

"Right. So, how do I apply to adopt?"

"When we return in an hour, there are forms and applications I can provide for you to fill out." The woman said with a smile. I nodded in understanding and thanked her. As much as I enjoyed watching the kids to get some playtime outside, I was really glad when we took the kids back. The woman led me to her office and gave me a rather thick package and told me once they were done, to mail them to the address inside.

Instead of going home, I rushed to Semi's. I felt overly excited to share the news with him. When I got there, I knocked on his door a bunch of times till he finally answered.

"Shirabu? What are you-"

"Look what I got!"