A smile tugs at her lips and she lifts her brow in pleasure, "I like this attitude on you, Miss Kane. It's almost like it fits perfectly. Like a glove."

I wince back, and guilt rises in my throat. I didn't think my attitude was much different than before...but maybe I was wrong. I hated the sound of the words coming off my tongue but loved the feel of them slipping away.

"Power is a hungry thing. It eats you up, then it takes over." She bows her head down, a flicker draining from her bright eyes, "I should know. It's already taken me whole."

The look on Verena's face was different...it was evil or cruel, but almost sad. I've never seen sorrow on her before. It fit perfectly--like a glove.

"Do they look at you differently now?" She says, and my chest tightens.

"Who?"

"You're little Rogue friends." She lets out a subtle sarcastic laugh, "When they see you, I'm sure they can't help but see the same monster as me."

It just makes me so angry, because whenever I look at you...I see her. Dominic said not so long ago. He saw her in me for a while...everyone did.

"You think we're the same," I look to her, and her focus is still on the floor, "were not. And we never will be."

She picks her head up, the frustration in her eyes syncs with the hold of her breath, "I know you know how it feels to be unwanted. Detested. Despised. You try and act content with it but it eats you alive knowing no one will ever trust you because they fear you!"

"You're wrong...they..the Rogues... they do want me."

She laughed, "Is that so? Tell me...how did they react when they found out? When they saw your little ability for the first time?"

My stomach twisted. I wanted to say something reassuring, but I could not. They all looked at me as if I were some vile creation. some curse or affliction. Even Celeste seemed bothered under her smile. Even Kyler was unnerved below his clam content, and Cassian fretted beneath his flashy smile.

"How did he react?"

I swallowed, my heart tumbling to my toes. Dominic didn't try and hide his thoughts. He flashed his anger like a flame, lighting every word I said on fire. For a moment, I thought he forgot who I was and only saw something he apprehended. He was so mad at something I couldn't control. I too was scared and angry and confused and worried, but when he yelled at me...I was broken.

Why did I suddenly feel angry? Was this her doing? Or maybe it was mine.

She hummed a laugh, "By the look on your face, I know he didn't take it very well. Typical Dominic."

"Don't act as if you know him," I said, my tone as cold as ice.

"I should say the same for you." She lifted her brow, "I probably know him better."

"You know the version you created. The one you compelled."

She held her head down, "I only influenced him a little. He led the rest of his thoughts on his own."

Impossible. He would never turn against his best friend like that. She made him do it...I knew she did.

"Have you ever used your powers on him?" She looked at me, her eyes eager. Why was she asking me this? Did she care?

"No," I said, which was sort of a lie. I tried to use it on him, but it didn't work. I still couldn't figure out why though. "See. Were different."

She sighed and looked to her feet. The confidence in her face withered away in seconds. I didn't think id ever see her like this. Almost like she was powerless. "You only choose to see what they tell you too."