Chapter 223: Blood-Out

Start from the beginning

Nornesh bent low. "What did you say?"

"Nothing important," replied Kashi as he tucked his hands in his pockets. "So, with all the cards on the table, I understand we have a deal?"

"Mm. Congratulations, hume," Nornesh praised with an amused chuckle. "You are the first in several centuries to successfully request my aid. Feel free to boast of this achievement at your leisure. I do not mind."

'Like hell, I will.' Kashi laughed through a strained smile as he replied, "Of course. I will."

"Good," complimented Nornesh as he once again laid on the ground. "So, out of curiosity. If I was not interested in this family thing, how did you plan to persuade me? Surely, you did not plan on throwing your life away?"

Kashi shrugged, "A battle challenge."

"What!?" "What!?"

Syèl and Nornesh exclaimed, the former in shock and anger, while the latter in total disbelief.

"Wait. Battle was on the table?" Syèl questioned as he began winding his arms. "Why didn't you choose that? What's with all the talking then?"

Kashi, however, rolled his eyes. "Civilized people talk first, then bash each other later."

Nornesh chuckled as he listened to the duo. "I thought it was bravado earlier, but it appears you two actually believe you can defeat me?"

"Yes!"

"NO!" Kashi grabbed Syèl and clamped his hands over the troublemaker's mouth. "Don't mind him. He was dropped as a child."

Syèl successfully yanked Kashi's arm off, and then looked at the daeben with exaggeratedly widened eyes, "How did you know my past?"

"Get out!" Kashi snorted with disgust as he pushed the halben. He then looked at Nornesh and clarified, "I'm not delusional enough to think we can beat you. Not yet, at least. Unlike my friend here, I have second-hand experience of what fighting a Divine Dragon entails. No, I just thought we could beat you in a customary Blood-Out challenge."

"Blood-Out?" Syèl asked. "What's that?"

"It's like First-Blood. Only, the onus to draw blood rest solely on one party," Kashi explained. "Some instructors use it as a test for their students. One is considered to have passed when they successfully injure their instructor during a given time-limit."

"Ah. So, that's it," Syèl replied with a nod, but then his brows furrowed. "Hold on. That's a challenge? You really think drawing a single drop of blood from this guy is going to be difficult. What is he, Thanos?" The halben paused and then looked at Nornesh, "No Offense."

"Do go on," Nornesh chuckled as he waved away the apology. "A dead man's ignorance is a sight to behold. No matter the age, there will always be fools who overestimate their abilities."

Syèl's brows furrowed, but rather than anger, he appeared exasperated as he questioned, "Okay, seriously. I have to ask. Is it that old people just get better at insulting and threatening others with age? There's that Araki bastard, and now, you. How can you insult, threaten and then curse me to death—all in the same sentence—and still maintain a smile throughout like you're blessing me with riches?"

"BAHAHAHAHAHA!" Nornesh, unable to contain his amusement any longer, burst out in amused laughter. "Indeed! Perhaps, this is all that we old folks have left. Refining the art of insulting others indeed a splendid past time." Syèl's sullen expression as he covered his ears to prevent himself from bleeding set Nornesh off even worse. For a good while, the mountain violently trembled as Nornesh stomped his foot against the ground.