Chapter 213: Weight of a Life

Start from the beginning

"During normal circumstances, yes," Leila said to King Chu, "but these are not normal circumstances. We are about to give birth to the continent's first empire. This glorious event certainly requires an equally glorious ceremony for its announcement." She looked at King Parissius and then the twin princesses as she said, "What better occasion to announce this to the world than the Emperor's wedding?"

"Uh..." King Parissius muttered, unable to come up with a counter-rebuttal. Damn this woman! Having her on your side was the best thing in the world. But she immediately became the devil incarnate upon playing for the other team. How could you beat someone whose arguments you cannot help but agree with?

"Oh, What's the matter, Your Majesty?" teased Chu Ling with a very sinister smile. "You seem mighty pale."

"Haha, no worries, Princess," replied King Parissius with a forced smile. "I must not be used to the heat." Eager to escape Chu Ling's gaze, he instead looked at Leila and asked, "When do you propose we hold this wedding?"

Leila nodded and then answered, "We have a pressing issue which requires the joint forces of all three nations to conquer. This battle will be the first gong, announcing our alliance to the rest of the world. We will host the wedding shortly after the battle, regardless of the outcome."

"Regardless of the outcome?" King Chu repeated with a slight frown. "Those words do not exactly inspire confidence."

"I would speak differently if it were the populace," said Leila. "But this is a room of the highest-ranking leaders of our nations. Of all people, those in this room must understand the gravity of the situation."

King Chu sighed and stroked his beard as he muttered, "I understand that. I was not criticizing your statement. It just struck me as odd. You do not seem the type to engage in something you are not confident in. Is the danger that great?"

Leila's gaze hardened. "Worst-case scenario, we might be drawn into a fight with Razznik the Destroyer."

CRASH!

A maid tripped at the mention of Razznik's name, sending the tray of metal jugs and cups crashing to the ground. However, no one reprimanded her as the crash was synonymous with the shock they too suffered. Razznik? That Razznik? The Destroyer of Worlds? He was coming back!?

King Chu quickly turned to King Parissius and King Xafier, hoping to see some doubt. But their grave expressions washed away any doubt. The old king stumbled into his chair and then cradled his head in grief. "Why do the gods hate us so?" lamented King Chu. "My people, after centuries of clambering in the dark, struggling to survive barely, finally found a way out, and now they wish to finish us off once and for all?"

The hall was severely by the king's grief as several Serians began to shed silent, resentful tears. Why? Why did this have to happen now? Razznik had been locked away for several centuries. Why did they have to face him? This was a man who had slaughtered gods. What chance did they have?

At this time, when the Serians were at their lowest, Kashi's voice suddenly rang through the room. "Do not lower your heads. All hope is not lost." The Serians looked up at the daeben, who likewise regarded them with a burning gaze. "All hope is not lost, I said. Facing Razznik is only the worst-case scenario. There is still a big chance to turn this around."

"And how do you know this?" questioned King Chu.

Kashi swiped his finger through the air, and his menu opened in 'visible' mode. "Because we Summoned are blessed with a cheat called quests." The daeben's eyes narrowed as he stated, "You can see quests as divine messages from the gods if you will. The important thing about quests is that, though they might be challenging, they are all doable." Kashi saw the light slowly return to King Chu and confirmed the king's guess, "Yes. Every Summoned received a quest regarding this battle, so you can be certain it is doable. But the fact that every Summoned received the quest means it will be incredibly difficult and can't be accomplished by a small party."