CHAPTER 1. A FORGOTTEN SORROW

Amina groaned loudly as soon as the alarm clock beside her set off, she slapped her hands on it lightly to turn it off and it worked, as she did it every single day.

Glancing at the time, it was just a little past five in the morning. It was time for Fajr Salah, she forced herself up and into the bathroom to perform ablution.

She prayed Fajr and went back to sleep, she would have recited the Holy Qur'an and said her Azkhar after but she was so sleepy and feared saying rubbish instead.

She finally found sleep at 3AM that morning, she had been in pain since the previous night and couldn't get any sleep at all. It wasn't the first time, she spent the last two years living like that.

Ever since her Mum ran off leaving her ten years ago, her Dad married another woman and her life had not been quite the best since then. Three years ago, she developed the disease IBS known as Irritable Bowel Syndrome and her life shattered like a broken plate.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a common disorder that affects the large intestine. Most of the signs and symptoms include cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, diarrhoea or constipation, and in some cases both.

IBS is a chronic disease that you would need to manage for a long term. In Amina's case, she had an M-IBS which is a mixed irritable bowel in the sense of diarrhoea and constipation.

An hour later, she woke up and started getting ready for school. It was her first day in her final class in secondary school. And which was the reason for her sleeplessness, anytime she got too anxious or over excited, the pain often starts.

It affects most patients physically and mentally, some even end up getting depressed. Amina was one of them, she had been depressed ever since her Mum's disappearance and it worsen after she got sick.

She quickly got ready and dressed into her school uniform which consisted of a navy blue long flared skirt, a long sleeved white shirt and a white hijab that stopped a little past her stomach.

She picked up her school bag and left her room, turning off the light and Air conditioner.

"Assalamu alaikum!" She greeted her Dad and step-mum who were already having breakfast.

"Aren't you late?" Her step-mum, Salma, glanced at her wryly.

She forced a smile out "I can make it if the driver takes me now. I slept late so I didn't wake up early."

Her Dad, Imran, ignored her as usual and was sipping a cup of coffee while reading his newspaper.

"When you spend the whole night watching movies and doing meaningless things, how would you wake up early?" She hissed at her.

I was in pain!

She wanted to say but knew it was useless, they would never listen nor did they even care. She had been the one sponsoring herself to the hospital since she got sick. Her Dad had always ignored her since her Mum left, perhaps his revenge to his ex wife who left him.

"Better get going, the driver should be ready to take you."

"Yes, Ma'am!" She said and bid them a silent bye.

Amina was from a wealthy family, her family is quite comfortable and the only thing she ever lacked is the warmth and love she needed the most. On the drive to school, she felt her stomach growl and knew she had to find something to eat.

She decided to get banana on the way while keeping to her mind that she was late to school. She informed the driver, Abbas, who quickly parked the car and get some for her.

She could only eat 3 pieces, she worried about her pain manifesting and didn't want to cause any drama at school. As 8 O' clock knocked, they arrived and she quickly got off and walked into the school before the gate was closed.

As a senior, she was one of the few students in her class without a title or prefectship. Not that she wanted it, due to her sickness, she couldn't stress herself out at all or she might collapse. It had happened twice the previous year and it was such an embarrassment for her.

"Good morning Sir!" She greeted her homeroom teacher as she walked by the staff room.

He smiled when he saw her "Good morning, Amina. How was the break? Nice to have you around."

"It was fine, Sir. Thank you."

Mr. Yusuf was her favourite class teacher, he had always been very nice to her and more of a counselor whenever she needed one.

"And you?"

She shrugged "I'm just here but I'm good."

He nodded "Always remember that you are not alone, okay? If you need anything, you know where to find me."

I am alone, Sir!

She nodded and instead said "Thank you! I had better get to class."

She entered her new class, it was full with all thirty classmates where everyone was catching up with their friends. No one even noticed her presence, she found an empty seat at the front row and took her seat.

Still no one noticed her presence, she wasn't actually one with a lot of friends or any friends at all though she was nice to everyone and all. No one wanted to be a part of troublesome life and she didn't blame them.

She hated every single day of her life, so who would want to stay by her side. Even her Mum left, so who would?

"Good morning Students!" She didn't even notice their homeroom teacher come in.

Immediately everyone quieted down and found their seats.

"Good morning, Sir. We are happy to see you and God bless you." They all said simultaneously as they had been taught.

"It's really nice to see you all too. How was the break?"

"It was fun." Another simultaneous reply.

He smiled "I bet it was, well welcome back to school and your final class at that."

They all clapped happily while their homeroom teacher shook his head in amusement.

"So, we shall start with the role call."

All 30 students were present and each answered with "present" when called.

"Before I forget, we would be having two new students join us today. They are getting their books in the staff room, so remember to be nice to them when they come."

"Why are we getting additional students?" Auwal asked, the class captain of the class, assistant captain of the soccer team and the assistant head boy of the school.

"And why shouldn't you get additional students, Class captain?"

He couldn't find a reply to that and he clamped his mouth shut while Mr. Yusuf smiled.

"Have a nice day, students!" And he left with that.

The class continued with their noisy affairs while Amina stared ahead, thinking of how she was always ignored and forgotten.

She wondered if she could survive that year being alone, yet again.

Fajr - Morning prayer
Assalamu alaikum - Peace be upon you
Wa alaikumus salaam - Peace be onto you too