Chapter 206: To Be Human

Start from the beginning

King Chu, oblivious to the daeben's thoughts, welcomed King Paris and King Xafier into the manor. "You must have had a long journey. Come, let me take you to your quarters. After a short rest, you can join us for dinner." The king looked at Kashi and the Hopeful Maggots. "Of course, I would love to meet you there. I've heard a lot about you all."

"It would be our honor," Leila replied with a polite smile as she realized Kashi still intended on sticking to the background for now.

King Chu glanced at Kashi one last time, a hint of doubt in his eyes, but then turned to King Parissius and said, "You must have noticed the girls are missing, yet chose not to bring it up yourself. I am more and more impressed by you. Having you as a son-in-law might be the best decision I've ever made."

"All due respect, I do not think either of us had a choice in that," King Parissius joked with a pleasant grin.

"Oh?" King Xafier commented, eyes turning from King Chu to King Parissius. "I sense a story. You know we dwarfs love a good story."

"Haha," King Chu chuckled as he led the way into the manor. "This is a tale for the ages. A dinner that turned into a wedding proposal, all without the input of the husband or the brides' father."

King Xafier glanced at King Parissius, who awkwardly scratched his chin with an embarrassed look and then said with a huge grin, "Oh. Now, this I must hear."

The kings laughed and chatted happily as they led the way into the manor, leaving the Maggots a few paces behind.

Leila slowed down her stride until she was next to Kashi. The wisben looked at her guildmaster with a helpless frown as she warned, "We can let it slide now, but eventually, you have to take point. This is a meeting of the highest powers. We cannot show disrespect by having the vice-guildmaster responding all the time."

"Vice-guildmaster is just a title, though," Kashi argued. "You're as much, if not more of a guildmaster than I am. I'd prefer it if you took the lead on this."

Leila, however, shook her head in disagreement. "I may be better in politics, but this goes beyond political skills." The wisben looked at Kashi with resolve as she said, "I am undoubtedly a wiser leader, but you are without a doubt the better one." Leila looked at the kings as she stated, "People do not follow the smartest leader, but the one who inspires their hearts. The one who makes them believe they can achieve the impossible." She turned to Kashi and struck him in the chest with a closed fist. "Never forget. You are the heart and soul of the Maggots. Only you can consistently create and then sustain impossible legendary achievements. This is why, when push comes to shove, you are the one everyone will turn to. This is why you are the better leader."

Kashi rubbed his chest with a blank look in his eyes. The daeben spent most of his time away from the guild, doing his own thing, so he never knew how much of an impact his actions had on its members. Recruits clamored to join the Maggots, and veterans stayed true to the Maggots because of the legend of Kashi: the crazy daeben who performed miracles consistently.

Kashi had never thought of himself as some sort of role model, and suddenly being thrust into that position felt uncomfortable. However, while he was feeling distraught, he felt someone squeeze his arm.

The daeben looked to the side, where a smiling Lunette looked up at him and said, "I'm just like the others. I fell for you because you have a different aura about you. You always make it seem like there's nothing we can't do if we put our minds to it." She chuckled softly as she rested her head on his arm. "Leila is right. You should take the lead. Here at least."

"I agree," Shadow confirmed as he 'appeared' behind Kashi. The assassin raised his head to look at the stunned daeben. "You are the Hopeful Maggots' guildmaster, and the only reason this meeting is happening in the first place. If you don't take point, who will?"