twenty six | ❝five days to d-day.❞

Comenzar desde el principio

Jeremy crinkled his nose. "Fine, but I hate you," he said and sulked his way to the lawn. The whole group followed him, laughing at his slouching form.

Anna went back to her punching bag which hung from a short but sturdy tree. She punched it repeatedly. Hook, duck, kick, move. Hook, duck, kick, move. Chest, chest, stomach, face. Her fists and feet wore down the bag and eventually she sat down to rest.

Mark and Mia trained on the other side of the lawn. Anna noticed how Mia's earlier radiance was coming back. Gone was the girl with raggedy clothes. She could see the improvements in her wardrobe and Anna couldn't help but wonder.

She looked beautiful. Like a snake. She looked beautifully dangerous like a cobra would, ready to leap and tear you apart. Anna smiled. Her friend was back in business.

Mark, on the other hand, looked worn and dusty. His lips kept moving, murmuring something continuously to Mia. From her distance, Anna couldn't hear a single word. Must be nothing, Anna thought and moved on.

On her opposite side, Noah and Jeremy slogged away at the tyres. Noah pulled one up and threw it with ease, only to pick it up again and repeat. Jeremy looked as if he was being beaten to death. He was frail and weak but his brain made up for his lack of brawn.

Jeremy fell down on his behind and vehemently cursed. Noah rushed back to help him up. He took a hold of his chicken arms and pulled him up. Jeremy was fighting back tears, begging Noah to let him go back inside.

This clearly wasn't his scene, Anna laughed. She felt a sudden movement next to her and she turned to face Harry's golden eyes looking at her intently.

"You could at least thank me for helping you out, you know," Harry said and laughed when he looked at Jeremy flailing his arms about in pain.

Anna peeled her eyes off of him, staring into the distance. "Thank the walls while you ran away as far as your legs could carry you? Yeah, right." She crossed her arms and scooted away from him.

Harry inched closer to her, every time she moved to her right. "That's not fair," he whined playfully. "We both know that I don't stand a chance in front of your physical prowess."

Anna's lips curved into a smile. "You sure know how to flatter someone, don't you?"

"Only for the people I l-" Harry stopped, a pout forming itself on his face.

"People you what?" Anna egged him on. "It's okay, don't be shy." She laughed, knowing full well what he intended to say.

"Tell me you received the idea," he said, nudging her arm. Harry could not help it; there was a whole smile on his face, something he always seemed to do around her. This was why he absolutely would not get rid of her even though he knew she wasn't worth his trust.

"If you don't tell me, I won't tell you. It's only fair," Anna jumped up on her feet. She was already in her fighting stance, her right leg behind her left. She was about to place her fists in front of the bag when Harry caught on it, faster than lightning.

"I think I love you," he whispered.

Anna's head snapped back to look at him, her jaw dropping open. Her legs felt limp and the world seemed to stop around her. She started breathing heavily, small beads of perspiration appearing on her forehead.

"You- you what?" Anna asked, disbelief on every single syllable that rolled off of her tongue. She sat back down next to him, unable to process it. She was here to take everything away from him.

And she was planning on it. He couldn't just throw a curveball and expect her to deal with it just like that. It toppled the mere establishment of her purpose. She couldn't hurt someone who had just admitted something so huge.

But it was her job, wasn't it? Anna could not throw it all away for a man she probably would never see again. So, she did the only thing that seemed right to her. She kept quiet, not a single word escaping her.

Harry noticed her silence and leaned against the tree. His training shirt rode up his perfect frame and Anna gulped a little. "You don't have to say you love me. No one means it anyway," Harry whispered, his eyes clouding over with disappointment and his voice losing its edge.

He got up from his place on the ground and smoothed down his shirt as if nothing had ever happened. Only Anna could see the pain in his eyes and she could tell it was real. She just couldn't say it back to him. She was never one to throw false feelings and she would not do it now.

"Harry, I did not mean-"Anna's words drowned out when Harry picked his voice up.

"Everyone, back inside. It's been a long day. Rest up," he said and walked away, his head bent down.

Anna watched him, awed at how he still looked angelic even when he was downright upset. She hated being the one to hurt him but it had to be done someday if not today. At least he won't hate me when he comes to know, Anna thought.

On the other side of the lawn's entrance, Harry paced about the room, his fingers digging into his palm. Blood seeped out from the pressure but the pain wasn't enough.

He'd lied to her, of course. He couldn't love her, of all people. He hated doing it but he had no choice. The only reason he said what he said was because distracting her from her job was his top most priority.

He absolutely had to keep Florian out of this. For as long as possible. Just not now. Not now.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━