𝙱𝚞𝚛𝚢 𝙼𝚢 𝙼𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚔𝚎𝚜 || 𝑲𝒐𝒍

𝚃𝚆: 𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚜𝚊𝚍!𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚎𝚛

𝚆𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜: 1𝚔

Fandom: The Vampire Diaries/The Originals

If there was one thing that Kol Mikaelson had always taught you it was that some things were better left buried

If there was one thing that Kol Mikaelson had always taught you it was that some things were better left buried. It was advice you had stuck to, advice you had treated as gospel, not only because it made sense, but because it had come from him. The man you loved, the man who meant so much more to you than any other man you had ever been in a relationship with. He allowed you to bury those past relationships, to bury the hurt they had caused you, and pretend as if they had never existed.

He was perfect.

It wasn't just that he treated you like a queen, that he seemed to worship the ground you walked on, constantly complimenting you and telling you he loved you. It was that he accepted you for what you were, a hunter who often pursued supernatural beings like him if they stepped out of line.

He accepted your family too, practically doting on your younger sister, Davina. It warmed your heart how close they had gotten since the two of you started dating, and it only reinforced your view that he was part of the family. Davina adored him too and it always made you smile when you saw them engage in friendly banter. He was the brother she had never had, and you never failed to remind him.

"Thanks. For being nice to her." Your sister had never had many friends growing up and you worried about her constantly.

"What is there not to like, Miss Claire?" Kol leaned down to kiss you, and you smiled at the formality of his tone. Forever the gentleman. He had honor and he was faithful, unlike so many of the men you had been with in the past.

At least, that was what you thought.

You had never felt more stupid than when you had walked into Kol's bedroom to find him kissing your sister. Once again, you had been fooled by a man who wasn't everything he seemed. No wonder he and Davina were so close, no wonder he had wanted to include her in everything.

They had broken apart at the sound of the gasp leaving your lips, guilt painted all over their faces. Kol had gone to speak, but you had stopped him, running away and getting into your car. You were there now, in fact, tears streaming down your face, speeding in an effort to just get home.

You felt broken, and when you got home, collapsing onto your bed, you realized that the only way you were ever going to fix it was to get away from the cause of it all. You were going to leave New Orleans, bury Kol Mikaelson and your broken heart, and leave it all in the ground to rot.

You were going to forget him, and you hoped that Davina had a nice life. You said nice with contempt, rather hoping that she would join him in Hell.

You packed a small bag, before climbing back into your car and driving away. You didn't bother saying goodbye, knowing that no-one would miss you. Kol Mikaelson was just another mistake, and maybe, maybe this was a slight overreaction, but that thought didn't cross your mind. Not until over a month later.

You had been settled for a while now in a new town where nobody knew who you were. Kol Mikaelson was a distant memory, at least, that's what you were trying to make him, your heart still shattering every time your phone rang, his name flashing up on the screen. He had been trying to call you since you left New Orleans, obviously not knowing where you were.

"Why won't you just get the hint?"

"Because I need to talk to you." You turned at the voice that floated through the open window, eyes widening as you saw the man who had broken your heart in the worst way possible. "Let me in. Please."

"And why the hell would I do that? In fact, how did you even find me?" You tried to come across as angry, tried to pretend that you didn't want him there. But you couldn't ignore the tiny part of you that was glad to see him, the part that thought maybe he really did love you, maybe he was here to apologize.

The voice that told you to bury him told you it would idiotic to take him back, but your heart was aching, desperate to be fixed and you knew that he was the way to do it.

"Y/N, please."

You remained stoic, not getting your hopes up.

"Whatever you have to say, you can say from there."

"Okay." He huffed, clearly frustrated. You resisted the urge to tell him to leave but stood your ground. "Y/N, what happened with me and Davina. It's not what you think. Well, it was. But it's not anymore. The moment you walked in on us, the moment I saw your face, I knew it was the biggest mistake of my life. I have spent every waking hour since trying to find you, so I can look you in the eyes and tell you that I'm sorry. I don't want to be something else that you bury, another person that hurts you, because I love you, Y/N. And I know, I know that I don't deserve it, but I've lived over a thousand years and I have never felt the way I feel when I'm with you. So, if you could please, please, just give me another chance."

You were silent for a moment, as your heart helped you dig up the mistake you had buried. It was no longer a mistake, having shrunk to a needle and thread, stitching up the broken fragments that resided in your chest.

And then you spoke.

"Well, I suppose you'd better come in then, Kol."