𝙱𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚑𝚎 || 𝑵𝒊𝒌𝒍𝒂𝒖𝒔

𝚃𝚆: 𝚜𝚎𝚗𝚜𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚗𝚝

𝚆𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜: 0.8𝚔

Fandom: The Vampire Diaries/The Originals

"Y/N, just breathe."

It felt like you were suffocating. It felt like the walls were closing in and that they would soon be crushing you. It felt like your heart was going to beat out of your chest like it was going splinter your ribs and tear your skin apart.

You weren't supposed to be here. You weren't supposed to be stuck in this pathetic excuse for a room. You weren't supposed to agree to this stupid plan, another threat on its way to New Orleans.

And yet, here you were, having done the stupid thing and agreeing to help Marcel out. And yet, here you were, stuck in a dark room, a single light flickering, locked in with no way out. And yet, here you were, with Klaus Mikaelson who clearly had no idea how to deal with someone who was claustrophobic.

You could have sworn the room was getting smaller as you felt the air leave your lungs. You could have sworn that Klaus's edges were blurring, his shadow transforming into a faded image taken by an old camera. You could have sworn he was talking to you, but his words were muffled by your panic.

"Y/N, just breathe."

Klaus hadn't expected you to be as scared as you were the moment you found out the door was locked. He had tried to use his strength to open it, but it was magic keeping you two captive and he couldn't fight that. And now, here he was, trying to comfort you, the girl who looked like she was about to pass out.

He had always thought you were invincible, always thought you were fearless. He had seen you face so much, monsters and bloodshed, even him and his family on the rare occasion. He had seen you face it all and not bat an eyelid. But this, seeing you like this, with tears threatening to fall, was new and it was difficult not to lose faith himself.

He told you to breathe because it was the only thing he knew. He suspected it was probably not the thing you needed to hear, but he didn't know what else to do. The light was fading and you were slumped against the wall in the small pool of brightness that had been allowed. He sat down next to you, but he didn't think you noticed.

"Y/N, just breathe."

You were conscious of a figure next to you. You were conscious of him talking to you, and you tried desperately to listen to his words. His voice was soothing, familiar, and you knew that it belonged to Klaus Mikaelson.

You listened to the words that fell from his lips, the rambling on as he spoke about his life, about how he had faced situations like this before and how he had always got out of them. You listened to the words he spoke as he told you that everything was going to be okay, that someone would find the two of you and how you would be home safe before you knew it.

Your breathing slowed, your heart rate resuming to its normal tempo. You didn't know why you did it but you rested your head on Klaus's shoulder, your chest rising and falling as panic began to fade. You were stuck here with the most powerful being in history, and part of you knew that you would be safe.

You looked up as the door swung open, disturbing the calm, and what was left of your panic melted into relief.

"Y/N, just breathe."

Klaus didn't know why he had started talking about his life. He had never wanted to open up to you before, but seeing you in the state you were made his heart hurt. The two of you hadn't really been friends before, only working together if you had to, but Klaus was beginning to see you in a different light. He wanted to make things better, and he did it the only way he knew how.

And when you finally let out a full, whole breath, so did he.

When the door opened to reveal his brother, a small part of him was disappointed. He knew he shouldn't be, it was what was best for you anyhow, but he enjoyed the feeling of you leaning against him, enjoyed the feeling of you needing him.

And so, when it was time for the two of you to go your separate ways, he couldn't help himself. He leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on your cheek, the feeling of your skin on his lips certain to remain there for some time.

As you looked at him with wide eyes, with an expression of shock that had the potential to become one of adoration, he whispered three simple words.

"Y/N, just breathe."