Chapter 201: The Land of Roses

Beginne am Anfang

"Thanks for the insight," JWSilver said with an appreciative nod. "I'll remember to use that when designing the paths for the other islands."

"No problem," Stryke said with a laugh and then pointed toward the beach. "Let's go. We've still got nine more islands to inspect." With those words, he and JWSilver walked toward the beach where a boat awaited them.

Surprisingly, however, they saw a daeben sitting on their boat, sketching on what looked like a notepad. The daeben's long, messy hair covered most of his face from view, but he was dressed in a pair of black sleeveless shirt and pants.

Stryke instantly recognized the messy hair and excitedly called out as he ran toward the daeben, "Kashi!"

The daeben lifted his head and turned to look at Stryke, revealing a pair of red eyes that definitely belonged to the guildmaster of the Hopeful Maggots. Kashi chuckled and raised his hand as he greeted, "Yo! It's been a while."

Stryke jumped and slapped Kashi's hand in an exaggerated high-five. "Of course, it's been a while. You're always busy with some dastardly plan."

"Hey! My plans are not dastardly!" Kashi protested. He then reached out and pulled on Stryke's cheeks, proclaiming as he did, "Didn't really have the opportunity to appreciate this last time, but you've really changed, huh? It's permanent?"

"Ow!" Stryke cried but did not attempt to push Kashi away. Luckily, the daeben released him, and then, scratching his sore cheeks, he answered, "Yeah, it's permanent. It's a complete race change. It has its perks, though. Like I can vaguely understand animals for one. Really helps with this resort building job—Ah! " Stryke's eyes widened as he realized he forgot something.

Stryke rushed over to JWSilver and dragged him to the boat. "Kashi, meet JW. He's the brains behind this whole operation. Dude is scary smart." He then pointed at Kashi and said, "JW, this is Kashi, the Maggots' guildmaster. He's scary strong, so be careful."

"What are you talking about?" Kashi protested. "I'm not scary."

Stryke just looked at Kashi, not bothering to deign that claim with a response.

Kashi, realizing Stryke was not taking any of his bullshit, coughed and turned his attention to JWSilver. He held out his hand as he said, "Leila told me about you. It's an honor to finally meet you."

"That honor is mine," JWSilver laughed and shook Kashi's hand as he revealed, "There are dozens of forums online dedicated to you alone. I feel like I already know you despite this being the first time we've met."

Kashi nervously laughed as he scratched the back of his head, "Dozens?"

"A low estimate," JWSilver replied with a shrug. "You're pretty popular online."

Kashi sighed, burying his head in his hands as he lamented, "How did this happen?"

"I see it as a huge plus, though," JWSilver stated as he looked over his shoulder at the beachfront hotels. "In essence, you are a brand name now. Everything you touch will be introduced to and then dissected by the public eye. When the time comes, we won't have to advertise much. Just let the world know this place is partly owned by Kashi of the Hopeful Maggots, and they will come flocking in to see if it's any good."

Kashi's brow rose as he gave JWSilver a once over. With a teasing smile, he asked, "You wouldn't happen to know Miote, would you?"

"Only by reputation," admitted the teenager with a confused expression. "All my proposals have to be approved by him before the work can begin. Why're you asking?"

"Nothing, nothing," Kashi placated. "I just feel like the two of you would get along."

"Haha, I don't know about that," JWSilver nervously laughed as he scratched the back of his head. "Miote is, you know... He's too awesome for someone like me."