𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝙱𝚛𝚘𝚔𝚎 𝙼𝚎 𝙵𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝 || 𝑵𝒊𝒌𝒍𝒂𝒖𝒔

𝚊/𝚗: 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝙸𝚖𝚊𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚋𝚊𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚗 '𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚔𝚎 𝚖𝚎 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝' 𝚋𝚢 𝚃𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝙼𝚌𝚁𝚊𝚎

𝚃𝚆: 𝚂𝚊𝚍, language.

𝚆𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜: 1.1𝚔

Fandom: The Vampire Diaries/The Originals

My phone started ringing, mixing with the thunder in the background, waking me up

My phone started ringing, mixing with the thunder in the background, waking me up. I got up, still sleepy, and looked for my phone to answer it so I could go back to sleep. After a few seconds, I founded it in my clothes on the floor. With my eyes closed, I answered, listening to the rain outside my apartment and the breathing of the unknown caller. My eyes widened and my lips parted in surprise when I heard his voice on the other line.

"Hello, Luv," He said, quietly.

From my place, I could imagine the arrogant smirk on his face as he pronounced those words, and it made my stomach ache. It had been months since the last time I even heard from Klaus, the last time we spoke, the last time he broke my heart... Why did he have to call? Just when I was getting over him, just when everything was getting back to normal in my life, why did he have to call me right now?

"Are you there? Or did your cat eat your tongue?" He said after a few seconds of silence, snapping me out of my thoughts.

With a trembling voice, not being able to compose myself so quickly, I replied hastily with a question: "What do you want, Klaus?" He laughed and answered me arrogantly. He told me not to act like if I wasn't pleased that he called, like if I didn't love hearing his voice, like if I'm over him.

"What do you want, Klaus?" I repeated myself in a more confident tone of voice. With slow steps, I crawled onto my bed again, biting my lip. I knew very well what was going to happen, I knew what his answer would be, and possibly what mine would be.

"You see... It happens to me that I need you," He said in a lower, airy tone of voice, almost whispering, "I can't stop thinking about you, I can't stop painting you on my canvases... I think about your kisses at nighttime, and about everything we used to have."

I closed my eyes and swallowed hard before taking a deep breath, listening to every word that came out of his mouth about how much he missed me and how much he wanted me back. And I could only think about how he dumped me for another girl months ago.

"What happened with Caroline? I thought you two would be happily married by now," I said, cutting him off.

He let out a sigh and described to me how she still wasn't ready to be with him, that she had married Stefan Salvatore, and had two magical little daughters, that she had already turned that page in her life.

I felt my blood boil when I heard those words, but also a little smile settled on my face because I had warned him, and I was right. I told him that it was not worth destroying our relationship, again, for a girl like her; but she was beautiful, everyone wanted her, and Klaus was mesmerized by his blonde hair, and by the game. It was always like that.

It was the same with Aurora centuries ago and, after that, everything seemed to have returned to normal, as if it had been a simple mistake, which I forgave in a blink of an eye. Everything went well until Caroline arrived in our lives. She drove him crazy from the first moment, but I also let that go when he came back to me because she preferred her reputation instead of being with him; then Camille showed up, and I think that was the biggest fight I've ever had with Klaus. I didn't hear from him until he called me because his love had not turned out to be who he thought she was, and I also let that pass. Then he left me again because he thought he had a chance with Caroline... But now I was tired of being the one to fix it every time.

"No"

"Is that your answer to my confession?" He laughed, not taking me seriously. He expected me to say that I loved him, that I was so grateful he called, that I missed his kisses and his touch...

"I'm done being your last option every time, Klaus"

"Ouch," He said, mockingly, "Y/N, you need me as much as I need you,"

"I don't, please leave me alone," I said in a whisper.

"You cannot live without me, love," He said, "Don't fool yourself,"

"I'm not ..." I said, but he interrupted me.

"We belong to each other at the end of the day, and you know that,"

"No!" I exclaimed, feeling cornered, on the edge of a cliff, and I didn't want to fall. I couldn't let myself fall.

"Oh, darling, you're hurting my feelings..." He said, again just mocking me.

"I said I'm fucking done!" I yelled before hanging up the call. I hadn't realized I was crying until I heard my sobs in the middle of my loud storm of emotions, and the storm outside. I brought my hands to my hair, tousling it, and crawled back until my back touched the wall.

My phone started ringing again, and I could see Klaus's name appear on the screen. I let out a scream of frustration and threw the object across the room, not wanting to know anything about him or anyone at that moment. I bring my legs to my chest and hug them, letting me cry.

It hurt me. It hurt because I felt like everything he had said was true, but I knew I had to stop. No excuse was enough now, because I knew it was wrong no matter what it was. Yes, Klaus may have loved me once, but it was obvious that he no longer did, and I had to get away from him once and for all.

I spent my entire life running after him, even when we were innocent children playing, it was always him who decided what games to play and what role I should play around him. Then we grew up and fell in love, we planned to get married, have children... Until immortality changed all our plans, but we never stopped loving each other, or that's what I thought.

I was so used to put him and his needs first, waiting for his calls, forgiving every one of his excuses and lies, to love him above all... I would never have imagined my life without him, but it was time to start over. And I didn't care if it truly hurts him, because he broke me first.

 And I didn't care if it truly hurts him, because he broke me first