Chapter 3

Little rant about the song. This is Concrete Angel by Martina McBride. This is so beautiful. Rebirth...heaven being a safer place. Yeah..this is just beautiful. Do listen to it. Specially while reading the chapter to get into the feel of the chapter. Hope you enjoy.

Emerald's POV:

Why do you do this to yourself?

As soon as those words left my mouth, his face morphed itself into a scowl. Maybe I asked the wrong question? He started shouting and screaming. After a few minutes he calmed down a bit but still shouted.

"Why do you even care? Firstly I am even shocked that you noticed. But more importantly why do you care. My life is not perfect Emerald. I don't have a pretty little life like yours,nor do I live in a happy little bubble like you. Besides you won't understand. You don't know what it's like to be me. You don't know what it's like to live a life like mine. You don't know the darkness, the pain, the tears. Heck I don't thing You have ever been truly and properly sad as well.You don't know any of those things because your life is nothing like mine. So stay the hell away from it! It's none of your concern!"

If I said that I wasn't affected by his words or that I wasn't hurt would be lying straightaway. Because I was hurt and more than I care to admit. But I wasn't going to show him that. I kept a neutral expression on my face and started walking away. But then Nathan scoffed and said something like, yeah that's what I thought. I screamed a bit and little birdie here got scared. Little birdie. My mom used to call me that. Okay now I was furious. Maybe it was the day, or the situation, or that nickname or maybe even it was the fact that I couldn't do this anymore alone, I don't know but I did go towards him. I looked him straight in the eyes and spoke in a calm voice.

"You don't know me. You don't know anything about me. And the reason I asked you that question is because I am concerned. It's because I care. And if you don't want to tell me then it's totally fine. But don't ever tell me I don't know what it's like. Never. And also,keep this one thing in mind. Never ever call me little bird again. That name is reserved by a very special person."

Confusion filled his face but the scowl never left. He asked me what I meant by it but I didn't answer anything and I was grateful that he didn't ask me anything else. We both were talking for sometime. During the whole time that I was talking to him, not once did I feel sad,nor did I think about dad. I felt happy for the first time in a long time. But this confused the hell out of me.

Nathan was such a kind guy. Then why would he always be so angry, always ready for a fight? Why did he put up a pretence of being a bad boy when in reality he wasn't? Was there something he was trying to hide? I mean he could be. Even I was trying to hide my pain, my scars, my suffering, my tears...my reality. I hid them all under the smiles and laughs. Maybe he was hiding something underneath his tough exterior. Maybe he was a tarnished soul as well. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't as bad as he appeared to be.

The wind had begun to pick up speed and it was started to get chilly. The weather was crisp. Great. Just great. My father had to throw me out of the house on such a day only? I quickly bid him goodbye and went by to the bridge. It was very cold and I had nothing on except my jeans and a top. And let me tell you, those pieces of clothing won't suffice for England's weather. But none the less, I mustered courage and lay down on the cold, hard concrete floor beneath the bridge. I shivered from the cold,but I was used to it. It didn't seem very cold like it would in the initial days. But slowly my eyes drifted shut and I slipped into a world where no one could hurt me, no one could harm me.

A world where I was safe from the monsters called reality.

Nathan's POV: