Chapter 189: The Vampire's Prince

Start from the beginning

Since Meilfour had the cheat code that was Lunette, the cheshire sought to create a cheat code of his own in Aygorzi.

That cheat code came in the form of an arena situated at the stadium's center. The allure of this arena was the opportunity for enemies or competitors to settle their differences in a controlled environment. The competitors paid a small fee and were allowed to combat each other in the arena. The choice of whether to have a life-and-death match or a regular fight was up to the participants.

The bulk of the profits from this particular feature was a combination of the cheap entrance fee and the gambling ring set up to complement each fight. No matter what world it was, there lived people who believed in Lady Luck. What's more, in this world where a single mishap could end the life of an adventurer, the thrill of something simple like a gambling match was too mouth-watering.

Absalon shook his head as he dismounted and handed his stallion to a valet that gave him an identification card in return. The general had come to the Emporium precisely because of this feature. First, this was a great place to scout potential recruits, but more importantly, the opening event was something even Absalon could not help but be excited about.

Why?

Miote had concluded that the opening fight for the arena had to be a blockbuster event. So, who, in all the world, did he pick? Some renowned warriors or high-level bounty hunters?

No.
Absalon was greeted by a staff who escorted him upstairs to a VIP section that overlooked the arena. In the real world, this might have made it difficult to keep track of the small figures fighting on the surface, but who above level 50 had not enhanced their eyesight in one war or another?

While he would never be able to compare with the vision of proper ranged classes like archers, all Absalon needed to do was inject a little mana into his eyes, and with the help of a mid-level spell, he could easily make out the hairs on a fly 50m away.

The general's brows twitched as he felt the ground shaking from the collective roars of the audience. They seemed to be chanting a few words in unison, and their excitement and enthusiasm traveled throughout the building.

What a devious design.

Even if someone were not interested in the fight, the vibrations beneath their fight would attract all but the strongest-willed men and women.

Absalon decided to stop admiring Miote's dastardly money-making schemes. He could feel his militaristic mentality being tainted. The staff showed Absaon to a small balcony-like room with a thick, transparent glass that was said to be capable of withstanding a level 150 meteor spell. He took a seat on the comfy chair and accepted a cup of wine from a waiter.

Absalon took a sip of the wine and could not help but admit that he too could become addicted to such a lifestyle if he were not careful. The general then took the time to gaze at the arena below.

Well, he called it an arena, but it was more like a small field the size of four football fields. The earth had been modified to be red, dry, and cracked with a slight breeze that raised dust and occasionally shrouded portions of the stage.

This was another allure of this arena. In the age of magic, Miote saw no reason why every battle should have the same map. Hence, the Emporium hired high-level magicians to reshape the environment to create different biomes.

Sixteen gates were situated in the walls surrounding the arena. It didn't take a genius to realize that these were the entrances for the participants.

"What's that!?"

The arena suddenly erupted in loud shouts, and Absalon followed the sights of the stunned waitress next to him. Upon seeing the source of the commotion, Absalon let out a wry smile. "Miote, you crafty fox."