✏chapter four

it's been a week since i last saw hajime. at this point, i was beyond worried, but there wasn't anything i could do except to hope that he's alright.

i sat at my desk, watching the droplets of rain roll down the glass.
"y/n?"
i looked away from the window, seeing chiaki.

"hey chiaki" i greeted.
"how are you feeling?" she asked.

"sad, i guess. i'm just so worried about haji. like, what if he's hurt, or worse??"

chiaki rested a hand on my shoulder.
"i don't think that's true. besides, we have to think positive. it's what he'd want us to do" she said, smiling.
"i'll try to think positive from now on" i replied.

"good. i also came to ask if you'd want to hang out with my friend and i"

i nodded as i stood from the desk.
--------------------------------
"so, who's this friend- oh my goodness!" i jumped as soon as i saw her friend.
'it's the laxative guy!'

"nagito, this is my friend y/n. y/n, this is my friend and classmate nagito komaeda, the ultimate lucky student" chiaki introduced.

i pushed all the thoughts about the laxatives away after hearing the last part of her sentence.

"wait, you're the ultimate lucky student? you won the raffle???" i asked. nagito nodded.

"yeah. but being ultimate lucky student is a worthless talent, but it's perfect for somebody as trash and worthless as myself" he said.
'i'm starting to think that i'm the reason everybody starts self loathing'

i gripped onto my umbrella handle.
"anyway, what are you two trying to do?" i asked.

"we're trying to find out why everything has been weird lately" chiaki said. i cocked my head to the side.
"weird? everything's been pretty normal for me"

"our classmate mikan disappeared out of nowhere. we'd most likely find her sprawled on the ground after tripping, but we couldn't find her anywhere on campus" nagito says. "but i have an idea where she might be" he added as we started walking.

"a lot of interesting things happen in the main course, huh?" i asked chiaki.
"yeah, if you want to say that. i'd say that it's never boring" she replied.

the three of us stopped in front of a statue.
"you think that mikan girl is here?" i asked, very confused. i walked up to the statue, looking around it.

"yeah, i don't think she's here- whoa!"
i nearly tripped on air, but managed to keep my balance. nagito then walked up to the statue.

"i'm pretty sure she's here, i just need to figure out how to do this"
nagito then accidentally pressed two secret buttons, opening a passage into the statue.

"what the--!"
"seems like my luck isn't that bad after all! i didn't even know that there was a passage!" he exclaimed, smiling.

"you..just used your luck?" chiaki asked.
"yes. well, it was more like it used me" nagito said, laughing a bit. "now, shall we?" he asked, the three of us turning to the stairs that had appeared.
-------------------------------
we descended down the stairs, ending up in a small room. there was a girl with strawberry blonde hair in huge pigtails and a somebody with flowing black hair next to her.

"who the hell are you??" i asked, halfway scared.

they turned around.

"hm? oh, i'm the ultimate despair, junko enoshima!" she said, smiling.
'despair????'

"and this is the ultimate hope, izuru kamukura! he's kind of a big deal" junko said, a hand on izuru's shoulder.

"hm. ultimate despair and ultimate hope working together? that'll cause mass destruction" nagito said.

"duh, that's the point!" junko exclaimed.
"i don't think i can let that happen"

nagito reached into his coat, pulling out a gun.

"aAaAAaAH! nagito, why do you have a gun??!" i shouted.
"i have my ways"

nagito aimed the gun at junko and- wait..

"what the hell?? where did the izuru guy go??"

i turned and noticed that izuru was behind nagito.

"nagito!" i shouted. he turned and aimed his gun at izuru.
then, something weird happened. izuru somehow got the gun and shot nagito.

"nagito!" chiaki exclaimed, rushing to his side. i turned to izuru, my eyes narrowed.

"you mother--!"

i attempted to attack him, but he threw me into a wall with ease.

"how borin--"

i tried attacking him again, but he knocked me to the ground, kicking me in my stomach.
'dammit! how is he so strong?? he looks like any other person!' i thought, hugging my stomach as i laid on the ground.

"...hajime..? you've changed.." chiaki spoke out of nowhere.
'what is she talking about? this dude isn't haji! he wouldn't try to hurt us!'

"hajime. is that who's body this used to be?" izuru asked.

"what does that--!"
i was interuppted by another kick in the stomach by junko, who kicked a bunch harder than izuru. i coughed up some blood.

"sorry! just wanted more despair to kick in!" she said, smiling again.
'i hope you die soon'
----------------------------------------
after that, the three of us left the area.
'what did izuru mean by 'body this used to be?' was that actually hajime? maybe that was why he had to leave and i haven't seen him since..'

"are you alright, y/n?" chiaki asked.
"yeah, i'm fine. just thinking" i replied.

chiaki's face showed a worried expression, but nodded anyway.
--------------------------------------
i waved goodbye to nagito and chiaki, walking home.
'there's no way that was haji, right? he wouldn't side with despair. and the izuru guy is ultimate hope, and haji doesn't have a talent. but what izuru said...maybe....he was given talent or something?'
==============================
yeah, at this rate, it'll be one chapter everyday
also, i hope y'all are enjoying the story so far.