✏chapter two

i ran up to the school, seeing a few police cars parked by the curb.
'what the hell?!'

i ran into the gates and joined the large group of reserve students standing around. i turned to a random person.

"what happened??" i asked. "somebody got murdered. apparently it was that natsumi girl" he replied.
my eyes widened, covering my mouth in shock.
'm-murder?! but who would--'

i quietly gasped, realizing who could've killed natsumi. i ran away from the group.
--------------------------------
i saw sato and the red-headed girl, who i figured out was mahiru, talking. i hid behind a tree, eavesdropping on their conversation.

after seeing mahiru leave, i was about to go to sato, but another voice stopped me.

"sato!" they called.
'isn't that hajime?? what's he doing?' i thought, watching as he walked up to sato.

"she's dead, and people saw her threaten you" hajime said. "i didn't murder her. is that what you want me to say?" she replied. the two of them talked back and forth, and i was getting bored of every second of it. suddenly-

"she was yakuza, of course she was gonna die young! or maybe, she killed herself, ever think of that? maybe she couldn't take another day of being a talentless piece of junk and gave up. suicide, it had to be" sato explained.

"natsumi hadn't given up on anything! talent or not, she still had hope for the future!" hajime shouted.

"you're wrong...you're wrong!" sato then ran off screaming.

i ran my hand through my hair.
"what the f--"
"y/n?"

i turned besides me, seeing hajime. "what're doing?" he asked.
"i'm trying to figure out what happened to natsumi" i replied, messing with my tie.
"....right. see you later then" hajime walked off towards the main building.

"wait, where are you going???" i asked, walking next to him. "none of your business. please, leave me alone right now" he said. despite the fact that i didn't want to, i left hajime alone.
-------------------------------------
i sat on a bench, eating my lunch.
"mind if i sit here?" a voice asked. i looked up, seeing a girl with a game system in her hand.

"sure"
i scooted over a bit, letting the girl sit down.
the two of us sat in silence, the only sounds being birds and the ones from the girl's game.

as i ate, i caught a glance at what she was playing.
"is that [random game]??" i asked. she instantly perked up. "you know about it?? people have barely heard of this game" she says, showing a small smile.

"then those people are missing out on one of the best things in history" i reply.
"yeah. maybe we could play it together sometime"
i nodded. "i have a nantendo had home, so i can probably get it later"

"okay. my name's chiaki nanami, by the way" she said.
i smiled. "i'm y/n l/n"

"hm. i haven't heard that name before. are you from the reserve course?" chiaki asked, not looking up from her game. "yeah. i assume you're from the main course?"

she nodded. "yeah, i'm the ultimate gamer"
"that..makes a bit of sense"

i then noticed that hajime had walked up to us.
"hello hajime" chiaki greeted. "oh, y'all know each other?" i asked. "yeah, we talked for a bit. maybe we should all play games together" she suggested.