✏chapter three

i arrived at school once more, staring at the main course building again.
"morning, y/n"

i jumped at the voice.
"oh, it's just you, chiaki. good morning" i replied.

"i wanted you to let you know that i won't be able to play games with you and hajime today because the main course is having talent exams" she explained.

"oh. well, good luck on the exam" i said, smiling at her. she smiled back, heading towards the main building.

i sighed, walking in the opposite direction.
---------------------
"crap, crap, crap!" i quietly muttered to myself as i ran to my next class. but instead, i ran into a guy holding a tray.

the contents on the tray fell onto the ground as the guy and i fell to the ground.

"sorry!" i said, helping him up. "it's fine. trash like deserves to be on the ground" he said.
'um..?'

we both turned to a little white dog, who was licking the liquid on the ground.
"i wouldn't do that if i were you" he said. suddenly, the dog grew giant. my eyes widened.

"what the--?!"
"that...wasn't a laxative" he said. he then turned to me.
"uh..i didn't see anything! i'll be on my way to class now!" i said, rushing pass him.
'laxative? what was he gonna do with a laxative?? he wasn't wearing a reserve course outfit, so he has to be from the main course! why would a main course student need a laxative?!' i thought, running into my class.
------------------------------
i looked for sato around campus. i somehow ended up in front of the main building again.
'maybe she's here..?'

i looked around, making sure i was the only person. i then rushed into the main building. i started asking everybody in the hallways if they've seen sato, all of them answering with a no.

i poked my head into a classroom, seeing that it was empty. i walked inside, looking around.
'so..this is a main course classroom. it looks like the ones from the reserve course, except-'

"excuse me, but who are you?"
i turned to the doorway, seeing mahiru, aka sato's friend.
'maybe if i ask her'

"um, hi. i know i'm not supposed to be here, but i just need to ask you something. do you know what happened to sato?" i asked. mahiru shook her head.
"sorry, but i don't. i haven't seen her since natsumi's murder" she told me. i nodded knowingly.

"i understand. have a good day" i said, walking out of the classroom.
-----------------------------------
i stepped out of the main building, looking at the ground.
'dammit. please don't tell me she's dead too' i thought, looking up when i heard shouting.

"you have to let me in there! my friend could be hurt or something!"
he then tried to punch the guy in front of him. the guy dodged and punched hajime instead.
'hajime!'

i ran over.
"what the hell are you doing?!" i shouted.
"my job. what were you doing in the main building? only talent belongs in there. and you're in the reserve course" the man said.

i narrowed my eyes.
"talent isn't everything!"

the guy raised an eyebrow.
"don't look at me like that!"

i glanced at hajime. "you alright, haji?" i asked.
"yeah, i'm...fine..." he replied, sending a glare at the guy before walking off. i followed.
"you don't have worry about what that guy said. he's just a jerk" i told hajime, a reassuring smile on my face.
"i know, but..."

hajime stopped walking, staring at his hand.
"i'm just a talentless kid that always screwing things up" he said.
'umm, where did this self loathing come from?????'

"haji, that's not true"
"you don't have to lie to me"

"i'm not lying. i wouldn't lie to my comrade, it's against my honor. haji, you are not a screw up. you are one of the best people i've met here. well, you and chiaki, but still" i said, putting my hands on his shoulders.

"and i don't ever wanna hear you say that crap about yourself ever again, alright? if you do, i'm gonna wack you on the head with a guitar"
i was joking about the last part. probably.

"i don't know whether to feel reassured or scared" hajime said. "both, but mostly reassured"

he let out a small laugh.
"alrighty then"
i took my hands off of his shoulders, a smile on my face. hajime returned the favor, showing a half smile.

"well. we...better head home. actually, it's just you taking me home, but still" i said.

"you can go. i have to..deal with some stuff. i'll see you when i do" he says.
"oh, okay! actually, wait a second!"

i wrapped my arm around his shoulders, taking out my phone and turning on the camera.

"wait, y/n--!"
"shush! just smile and say cheese!" i exclaimed.
"um, cheese..?" he said as i took the picture.

"eh, it's decent" i said, putting my phone in my bag.
"what was that for?"

i smiled.
"oh, you said that you'll see me when you do, and that could be a long time from now. so, i needed a picture to remember you by. when i get the chance, i'll get one of chiaki and i and send it to you" i explained.

"oh. that'd be nice. anyway, i have to go" hajime spoke, going a bit fast.

"bye, haji" i said, walking towards the gate with a smile.
==========================================
y'all needed those pictures, it'll make everything more depressing when the time comes.
also, where i live, it's past 12am, but still.