"You may." the judge granted him the permission.

"Thank you Your honour."

Rajesh Thakur, a tall and lanky man in appearance, stood in the witness box.

"So Mr. Rajesh, can u recall back the happenings of the night when, according to the plaintiff, the incident had occured?"

"Yes Barrister, I clearly remember everything about that night, Mukherjee family is falsely alleging my brother in this case! I swear to every deity out there, he hasn't done anything wrong!", said Mr. Rajesh, almost shouting.

"Mr. Rajesh, you have to maintain the decorum of the court!", interrupted the judge.

"I am sorry your honour." Mr. Rajesh apologized.

"So Mr Rajesh, what do you remember about the night?", asked Barrister Om again.

"Barrister, my brother loved my sister-in-law Rama dearly, and he couldn't even think of hurting her in his wildest of dreams, let alone burn her alive! That was just a mere accident because of which I lost my boudi! She was nothing less than an elder sister to me." Mr. Rajesh teared up saying this.

"Control your emotions for time being Mr. Rajesh, the court needs the details about the accident."

"Objection your honour, my learned friend can't name it as an accident until it is declared by the court as one." a voice protested.

Anirudh Roy Chowdhury being the owner of it. Annoyance laced his tone.

"Objection overruled!", the judge declared.

Barrister Om smirked at this, glancing at Anirudh who sat back at his place without another word, looking calm at the outside but his clenched fist and sharp jaw said otherwise.

Barrister Om continued, "So give me the details Mr. Rajesh."

"Boudi was working in the kitchen like every other day and Durga knows how her saari caught the  flame of the fire and...and this unfortune struck our family!"

"Objection your honour," Anirudh spoke up in the few seconds of silence that had prevailed after Rajesh's statement, "I have some questions for Mr. Rajesh, which I want to ask." 

"You may." the judge gave him the permission.

Anirudh straightened his long, black coat in a swift, confident motion. He eyed Rajesh from head to toe and something resembling a smirk crossed his features when he noticed him shifting from foot to foot.

Rajesh felt a little, read as: a lot nervous now that he was under Anirudh's scrutiny.

"Mr. Rajesh Thakur, from what I have researched, I've got to know that it was your brother's second marriage, am I right? Was it?"

Rajesh visibly gulped and Barrister Om tensed.

"Yes...yes it was."

"What went wrong with the previous one then?", Anirudh asked raising his eyebrows.

"My learned friend, may I know how does this information concern the case in anyway?", intervened Barrister Om.

"I'm sure my learned friend will have his turn." Anirudh said paying absolutely no heed to him.

He turned to Mr. Rajesh again, "Your answer?"

"My brother left her."

"I want to know the reason." Anirudh said stressing on the word reason.

"She wasn't able to bore a child."

"Oh? So just because she was infertile your brother had left her? And what was wrong with Rama then? Was she also infertile, or did she fail to bring the dowry?" Anirudh purposely slowed down his last words, pronouncing each syllable clearly, so that every person sitting in that courtroom could be hit with the realisation of the truth.