Ch 12: Bagels and Boys

Start from the beginning

I looked her up and down.  First at her nicely fit dark colored skinny jeans then at her floral blouse, her dark eyes starring me down as if I said the worst thing known to man.

“Oh my god.  You’re not a virgin are you?”  Kayla laughed to herself as I slowly shook my head.

“No, back in Miami I had a boyfriend.  Actually I had a few but, I lost my virginity a few years ago.”  I said softly and for a few seconds me and Kayla just looked at each other.

Yes, we can go back to being friends all we want but, there’s four years of our friendship missing and no matter what we do now we can’t get it back.  We both missed huge events in our lives.   Walking in on our first day of high school, our first boyfriends, passing the driver’s test, and losing our virginities are things that we talked about experiencing together and we never will get to and I think that realization is hitting us now.

A lot changes in high school like who we are and truthfully do I really know Kayla anymore?

“Are you?”  I finally asked not knowing what else to say and Kayla bit her bottom lip not knowing what to say.

“It’s okay if you are.  I mean were only 17 and_”

I was interrupted by the doorbell that sounded through the whole house and Kayla sat back down on the bean bag chair. 

“Who’s that?”  She asked and she seemed very eager to change the subject.

“I don’t know.”  I said lamely as I pushed open my bedroom door leaving Kayla there.  I didn’t think she would move anyways.

I jogged back the steps wondering who would be knocking on my door so early in the morning.

What time is it anyways?

I walked past the clock in the kitchen and noticed it said 12:18pm.

Nice, Hayley.

I swung open the kitchen door not thinking twice about and man do I wish I did.

“So you’re the person who drives the white Nissan Altima?”  Holden Kane gave me a dubious grin and I chocked on something to say as I remembered I looked like a zombie hobo. 

“Holden, what are you doing here?”  I asked trying to wipe away the black eyeliner under my eyes.

“Can I come in?”  He asked and I wanted to say no but, for some reason I felt rude so I stepped aside letting hit walk into my house.

Come on Hayley!  Never invite the enemy in your home.

Then again you’re not really supposed to make out with the enemy either so I guess I’m breaking all the rules.

He looked around the foyer and smiled.

“This place still hasn’t changed after all those years.”

“Yup.  So what’s up?”  I asked trying to make this as casual as possible but, honestly I couldn’t even look him in the eyes without turning to mush. 

Holden took a deep breath and then stepped forward towards me making me jump a little from his sudden movement.

“I just feel bad about last night.  I got carried away and I shouldn’t have.  I didn’t even know how drunk you were and I would never want to take advantage of you.”  He explained and when I finally looked up into his light blue eyes then looked genuine.

“You didn’t and I wasn’t that drunk.  Everything that happened I was okay with.  I don’t know why I ran off.”  I said, almost completely honestly.