8) Close Calls

Follow Vote Comment

July 12th (57 days left of Summer)

Dixie and Noah were both noticeably happy and their families didn't know why. While Dixie's parents didn't care to pry, Charli was persistent to find out why she had become so peppy. 

2:15 pm

Dixie and Charli were home alone in their rooms on a Friday afternoon, when Dixie got a call from Noah. She smiles and answers. "Hey!" "Hey bub! So Addi's gonna be with Avani for a few hours so you can come over if you're not busy." "I'm never busy for you," she gushes. "I'll be there in 20." "Ok see you soon bye!" "Bye!" 

She hangs up the phone and turns around to see Charli standing in her doorway. She turns bright pink. "Um hey, what do you want?" She looks at her in shock and smiles, "So who were you talking to?" "Uh.." She scrambles to think of something. "It was Addison, I'm going over to her house."  Charli closes her door and walks in. "No way. You were being way too flirty for it to be anyone but a guy." Dixie bites her lip. Charli gasps, "DO YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND?!" 

"What! No of course not!" she takes a deep breath, "It was just someone from my school, he called and asked me on a date. I'm meeting him at the park. Charli's mouth drops, "Oh my god Dix! Why didn't you tell me!" "Cause it just happened today, and besides it's just one date nothings gonna come out of it." Charli huffs and begins to say more but Dixie cuts her off. "I have to go now, I'll be back in a few hours." 

She runs out of her room and into the garage. That was the closest they had come to being caught. It wouldn't be the end of the world if anyone found out, anyone but Addison. Dixie needed to talk to her first, and once she was okay with it she could tell everyone else with ease.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dixie had been laying on Noah's bed with him watching a movie for an hour or so when she fell asleep on his chest. He paused the movie and watched her for a moment. She was so peaceful, and he couldn't help but smile at the beautiful girl laying on his chest. He wrapped her up and cuddled her in his arms as he fell asleep. 

5:30 pm

Dixie awoke to the sound of the front door opening. She rubbed her eyes and then quickly shot up. "Shoot! Noah, Noah!" He wakes up quickly and looks at her confused."What's wrong?" "Addison's here!" Noah's eyes widen and he sits upon his bed. Dixie runs into the bathroom, splashes water on her face, and brushes through her hair to make herself look more awake. "What do we do?" Dixie runs back out, "Ok it's ok, it's ok. I'll just say that uh- oh! I'll just say I came to pick something up" Noah nods and she runs to the door. 

Right before she can open it Addison appears, "Hey mom sai- Dixie?" Addison stared at her extremely perplexed. "Uh hey Adds, I just came over to get one of my shirts." She looks at Dixie, then Noah, then back at her. "Why are you in here?" "I was just saying hi." She walks into Addison's bedroom and tries to cool down her bright red face. Addi walks in and watches as Dixie grabs a few random clothes. "Is there something going on with you two?"

Dixie turns around, "What? Oh my god Addi no! Of course not!" She laughs very convincingly and Addison starts laughing with her. "Yeah, I didn't think so. Like you'd EVER date Noah!" Yeah, I know right as if!" She continues to laugh and grab some clothes from around Addison's room. "Imagine if like Charli or someone liked Noah." Dixie was trying to find out how Addison was going to react, without directly asking her. "I'd die!" Addison jokes. "I get that! Why though? Like just wondering haha" She knew Addison wouldn't get too suspicious. Dixie was always one to ask hypothetical questions.

"If one of my friends dated my brother? I already feel like everyone likes him better, I'd just feel so weird around them. Everybody always compares us, whether it's intentional or not. Like I'll be talking about school, and my aunts will bring up Noahs AMAZING grades and how "He got to go to college for free! Isn't he amazing!" And you know it's not jealousy or anything, it just makes me feel worthless. If one of my friends dated Noah it would just be another way to compare us. Plus I'd feel like they'd always be hanging out with him and eventually just stop talking to me."

Dixie just stares at her. "But who cares! It's not like that would ever happen!" Addison laughs and flops onto her bed. Dixie laughs along, trying to hide the fear and guilt inside her. She quickly says goodbye and leaves the house.

Once she got home Charli was waiting patiently on the couch. "You're back! How was the date?!" Dixie slowly walks in, she was shocked and unprepared to answer Charli's questions. "Uh, okay I guess. I'm probably not gonna call him again." "Well wha-" "Sorry Char, I'm really tired I'm gonna go lay down." Charli frowns as Dixie runs up the stairs, "Oh, ok."

Dixie walks into her room and flops on her bed. She sighs and rolls to the side. She knew she needed to tell Addison about her and Noah as soon as possible, she just didn't know how. She picked up her phone and called Noah.

"Hey." Noah answered in a groggy voice. "Hey... we really need to tell everybody soon." "Yeah I know, Addison almost caught me talking to Blake about you and-" "You talk to Blake about me?" Noah's face becomes pink with embarrassment, "Oh uh, I mean, yeah just like about ya know our dates and stuff.." Dixie giggles, "Relax, I'm just teasing you." Noah sighed a sigh of relief and lets out a laugh. 

They continue to talk for hours. Dixie had completely forgotten about her stresses with Addison and Charli. She loved talking with Noah, and she learned so much about him during this one conversation. She already knew little things like his favorite color or his Dream job. But she talked to him about deep things tonight, things that brought their relationship to a new level of connection and understanding. 

It was almost 2:00 am when Dixie fell asleep. Noah looked at his phone and smiled. He gently whispered, "Goodnight Dixie, Sweet dreams!" He took a screenshot of her sleeping before hanging up to let her sleep. He turned over onto his pillow and fell asleep thinking about Dixie, just like he had every other night since their kiss.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

hey bubs! <3

how are y'all doing? I'm doing pretty good! By the way, I have a reading list of 50+ Doah stories (and lists for  many other ships) so you can check that out if you'd like! (word count- 1195)

Follow Vote Comment