16. Undoing The Past

"I'll pay for the coffee."

Jungkook was startled as his doe eyes were squinting gently as he scanned the handwritten words on the boards above the counter. It's not that he was about to get any fancy drinks, he will opt for his favourite iced Americano anyway.

"Mr Kim."

The raven head turned back around to spot the taller male standing behind him with his dimpled smile on display.

"Namjoon. Don't have to be too formal with me Jungkook." Joonie offered the younger his best smile as Jungkook nodded back with his bunny-like grin. "Alright, Namjoon."

"That's better, isn't it? Now, what would you like to have? It's on me."

"Oh no, I would like to pay for it please?"

"Jungkook, I called you out as a welcome treat, so allow me to pay for this. Why don't you find a spot for us? I will get your iced Americano for you."

"How did you know?"

"I assumed you're an iced Americano kind of a person?" said Namjoon.

Jungkook chuckled as he nodded with thanks at the taller male. 

Phew, I should probably be more careful about knowing his details and preferences. Namjoon, on the other hand, proceeds to order two iced Americano as he retrieved the drinks shortly after to find Jungkook by the window, scrolling through his phone.

"Here you go."

"Thanks Namjoon."

Jungkook happily tucked his phone away and took the drink from the older, feeling happy with the first sip of his iced coffee.

"So Jungkook? How has it been returning to NYC so far?"

The raven head sipped on his drink as he raised his brows at the older Kim. "You knew I was in NYC before this?" How does word about him once occupying the streets of NYC suddenly becomes a hot topic?

"Hoseok was telling us the other day over dinner. Your boss finds every single reason to praise and comment about his employees, particularly you. That's how I know you were once a New Yorker yourself."

The younger nodded. Of coz, Hoseok never fails to give his employees all the credits and some times, giving more credits than it's due. "Yea, I was. Not for long though, did part of of my University courses here and I was out before the senior year. I graduated in Seoul."

"I see. Why did you choose to leave NYC and en route to Seoul? You could have graduated here within the year isn't it?"

Jungkook's shoulder tensed. The forbidden memories flushed in once again. Thinking about the reason for him to leave triggers all the cells in hiatus which he didn't wish to awaken.

"Just for some change of environment, I guess? Dad was settling back in Seoul and I wanted to be with my family." 

Surely the answer seemed pretty natural and harmless. It wasn't what Namjoon was expecting. He knows why Jungkook chose to leave 8 years ago from NYC and vow to never return. Namjoon knows that a certain silver head was the one who drove Jungkook away from the city.

"How has it been with Gardler? You're so young and extraordinaire, much like our Taehyung."

Jungkook scoffed at this. He can't seem to agree with the purple-haired man about the compliment in stringing him and Taehyung into one. There is no bloody way Jungkook will agree he is similar to the silver head.

"By all means Namjoon I don't have anything against your opinion but I certainly don't think I am anything close to your cousin - Mr Kim. I just got lucky with Hoseok and Gardler."