18.

**Adrian's Pov.**

"It was the humans who killed Athan." He told me and my eyes grew wide.
"What?"

Abel sat there frowning as if thinking back to the day it happened.
"It's going to be a rather long story, are you really prepared to hear how I was blamed in all of this?" He asked me and I frowned at him before placing my hand on top of his.
"I'm staying right here." I told the other and he smirked softly leaning his head back.

"It was the year, 1867..."

"Athan come back here you mustn't run off too far!" A teenage boy no older than seventeen called after his younger brother.
The humans were fond of them both because of their looks.
But Athan made everyone speechless with his looks.
He resembled a doll.

Light vanilla skin with a few visible freckles, hips that were easy to grab and a face that could attract even the straightest man.
His dimples were what done it for him and those bright hazel blue eyes that looked white in the sunlight.
He was someone you'd want to put in ice and freeze to keep them young forever.
Athan was only fifteen, two years younger than his brother, Magna Taylor.
The kid followed his older brother everywhere.
Even into places that landed him in trouble later on.

"We never get to enjoy the sun like this, lighten up Magna!" Athan teased as they ran to the edge of town where the sun was preparing to set.

Athan stood there as the sun rested in between the mountains, waiting minutes before disappearing leaving the town in darkness.
Magna was at his side as he stared at the sun desperately.
"I hate it when it leaves." Athan frowned and Magna glanced to the other before smirking softly.
"Being what we are, you should be thrilled when the sun goes away. No more headaches." He pointed out and Athan ran a hand through his wavy blond locks with an arched brow before letting out a soft sigh.
"I suppose you're right but it's awfully beautiful around this time, how it just melts into the earth," he hesitated on his words.
"Unlike us." He said.

"There you two are." Athan grinned at the two they had left without back at the market.
To his right was Dante Kelly, one of Magna's close and best friends.
Next to him was Ambrose Harper, always glued to Dante's side.
If he wasn't with them, he was usually off with one of the younger vampires just to get away.
It was a nice thought.
But Athan enjoyed being by Magna's side, when he was with him.
He always got to see Abel Pierce in the end.
It was painfully obvious how attracted Athan was to Abel, but his friends always tried to keep him from the other.

According to them, it was a bad idea.

"This one decided to bolt the moment the sun went down." Magna commented with a roll of his eyes and Dante smirked.
"It'll come back tomorrow, you do this every time. Doesn't it get tiring?" He asked him.
Athan frowned.
"No, I like the colors." He answered crossing his arms and Ambrose smiled softly.
"Such a child." He stated and Athan's eyes twitched.
"I'm only a year younger than you, Ambrose!" He snapped and the other vampire grinned at this.
"A whole year which still makes you a child compared to me." He teased as Athan growled in response.
"Alright you two, that's enough." Magna smirked but it died down the moment a group of humans appeared.

"Are those the ones?" Dante questioned and Magna's eyes were locked on the two men in front, both wearing top hats and dark colored coats that hid their knees.
"They are." He stated and Athan's brows were knitted.
"What's wrong?" He frowned.

"Nothing." Magna said quick looking to his brother smiling softly.
"It's late, let's head home-"
"Are we not going by and seeing Abel Pierce tonight?" Athan questioned frowning at the other.

Magna looked to his two friends for help but they were both quiet.
Of course.
He looked to Athan before sighing.
"Alright but we really need to stop bothering him so much, he's far older than you Athan, you'd do better by finding a different person to be infatuated with." He told him taking his hand to walk away.

"Good evening, gentlemen. Are you out for a stroll at this hour as well?" Magna's hold on Athan's hand tightened at the humans in front of them.
Magna stared at the other humans.
"We were just on our way home actually, if you'll excuse us." He went to move forward but a hand on the front of his shoulder stopped him.
This man wasn't good.
Athan could smell it on him.
His intentions were cruel if they were to find out the truth of Athan and his family.

"Do pass on a word to Mr.Pierce for me if you wouldn't mind, Mr.Taylor, I understand the two of you are close, correct?" He questioned and Magna wanted to scoff at that suggestion, it was a bold assumption.
But it was also correct.
Magna was Abel's right hand when it came to this community they were trying to create for both vampire and human to coexist.
"What would you like me to pass onto him, Mr.Conrad?" Magna smiled forcefully as the man smiled in response.
"Let him know that I received the papers he read over himself and tell him, I am pleased with the data he collected for me regarding your kind. It's appreciated that we're learning to be more trusting towards each other when it comes to the burning truth." He moved his hand from Magna's shoulder and he refrained from growling with a smile.
"I'll make sure he knows, excuse us." He pulled Athan close behind him.

They made it to the home Athan always gets warm arriving at.
He knew he had no chance of ever winning Abel's heart, but he could still fantasize of it ever becoming a reality.
To be Abel's..