12.

**Devyn's Pov.**

"They're both skipping school?" Josie questioned at the locker as I frowned staring at my phone, neither of them have answered their phones and it's been driving me fucking nuts.
I knew I should of stopped by the house on our way to school to see if Jayce or Hyde had left yet.
Because not even Hyde and them were here.
I was getting bad vibes.
And it wasn't rubbing me right.

"Maybe something came up, I mean Adrian's parents are getting a divorce but I don't know why that is keeping Jayce from showing up." I said grabbing my books and Josie made a face.
"Maybe he's sick-"
"Maybe, it's just weird." I frowned closing my locker and looked at her.
"But why wouldn't he answer his phone?" I asked and she just stared.
"I'm sure they have a good explanation on the why part Dev, don't let it distract you too much." She said leaving my side and heading to homeroom as I stood there.

I wanted to see them walk through the doors rushing over and apologize for causing me to stress.
I wanted to see Adrian try not to get flustered because he missed his alarm or something.
I wanted Jayce to come up with a bad excuse but make it sound believable.
Just so I could relax.

I went towards the classroom but stopped at the sound of the front door of the building coming open.
I had hope.
I turned around but my brows were knitted when Maverick stood there.
Looking completely out of breath as his eyes locked on me.

"Devyn." He rushed up to me and suddenly I was concerned.
"Rick? What's going on-"
"You need to come with me." He took my hand but I came to a stop.
"No, I have my classes-"
"Devyn, it's serious." He pushed and I frowned deeply.
"My parents will kill me-"
"I'll take care of that too, but come on. It's about Adrian and Jayce." He told me and I felt sick.
"They're not dead-"
"No, I'll explain what I can on the way, so please." He gripped my hand and I nodded running out of the building with the other.

"Explain." I said buckling myself in his jeep and he didn't even wait before driving out of the parking lot.
"I need you to keep an open mind alright, can you do that?" He asked trying not to speed and I glared.
"Rick, I swear to god if they're-"
"They were attacked last night." Maverick said staring hard at the road as my blood ran ice cold.
"What?" I was trying to register what the fuck he just said.
Attacked?!

"By what?" I asked him trying to calm down.
Maverick went quiet and I glared.
"By what, Maverick?" I demanded.
"A vampire." He said tightly and my heart pounded hard against my chest.
"What?" My brows were knitted and he frowned at me.
"I'm sorry for keeping the truth from you Devyn, we only wanted what was best for you three and because of us being careless, Adrian and Jayce were both hurt last night." He explained and I was trying to understand the concept of a vampire actually existing.
I really thought it was a joke.
Or something Adrian was looking too into.
But they were real?
My face was burning I could feel it.

"Why are you making it sound like you're one?" I asked him afraid of the truth and he went quiet again.
I couldn't concentrate.
"I need you to stop the car." I told him.
"Devyn I-"
"Rick, I'm going to be fucking sick, stop the damn car, please." My brows were knitted as he looked at me before exhaling slowly as he pulled over.

I didn't even have the seatbelt all the way off before I was tossing myself out and losing the cereal I had ate this morning.
My throat burned as I stared at the disgusting mess in the grass in front of me.
He was a vampire.
Abel was also one.
This felt dangerous.
Way too dangerous for a trio of teenagers to handle.

"Devyn-"
I stepped back after noticing he was by my side and his brows were knitted.
"I didn't want to keep it from you Devyn, you need to understand-"
"How are you able to stand in the sunlight?" I demanded and he swallowed hard.
I glared at him.
"How are you standing right in front of me without burning?" I asked him.
Maverick stared at me before rolling up his sleeve.
There was a band that looked like it was tattooed into his skin.
"These are how we're able to exist with you, if it weren't for them, we wouldn't be able to walk under the sun." He explained and my eyes were burning.

"And what about being invited into a home or garlic? What about mirrors or f-feeding from us?" I dared to ask and Maverick frowned at me.
"Devyn I want to tell you everything but your friends-"
"Right." I fanned myself frowning as I got back in the jeep and just stared out the window as Maverick began to drive again.

"Are you angry?" He asked me and my brows knitted.
"Don't I have the right to be?" I asked him frowning and he looked straight ahead now.
"You do, I just thought we were doing the right thing-"
"No you were doing the selfish thing, if you had just told us in the beginning-" I covered my mouth with my hand as the tears threatened to fall.
"My friends wouldn't of gotten hurt-"

"No, even if we had told you in the beginning, Magna would of came after Adrian and anyone else connected to Abel-"
"It's that guys fault my two best friends are hurt?" I demanded glaring at him.
Maverick drove through the gates and they suddenly seemed familiar.
Why did I remember these gates?
Everything was fuzzy and I frowned deeply as the house came into view.
They were both here?
I felt sick as Maverick parked the jeep and looked at me.
"Devyn-"
"Did they know you guys were vampires?" I asked trying not to cry as I stared blankly ahead.

"No." He answered and I could tell he was being honest.
"Adrian kept figuring it out but he's easily swayed to think otherwise, but after last night. They're both aware we are." He told me and I sat there frowning.
"Devyn." I flinched feeling his hand take mine and he looked so hurt, more hurt than I thought he would.
"You know I've been nothing but honest with you up until now, I wanted to keep you safe, so please. Don't let this end things between us." He told me and my chest squeezed me tight.
I inhaled sharply.

"I want to see them-"
"Devyn-"
"Maverick," I looked at the other frowning.
"You just spilled a big amount of tea for me to try to swallow, I need a moment to try to process the idea of my boyfriend being a vampire and the fact my two best friends need me." I told him getting out and he seemed to relax.
I wanted to relax myself.
But I couldn't.
I had to know those two were alive.
That they were going to be okay.
Then I would try to move forward with Rick.
I wanted to.
My childish thoughts were more excited over the fact I was dating a vampire.
But my serious thoughts were much more focused on Adrian and Jayce.

Maverick was at my side as he pushed open the front door of the home they lived in.
"Stay by myside, you can get lost in here." He told me as he took my hand and I relaxed with a nod.

We walked into this large open area and there were people in different areas of the room.
"Are they-"
"Yes, we all are." He told me walking us towards the staircase.

"Why did you bring him here, Maverick?" I turned around and glared harshly at the one Adrian never shuts up about now.
Abel stood there glaring and I wasn't sure what it was that possessed me to move.
To storm right up to that guy who made my best friend smile.
Made him feel safe.
I wanted to hate him.
For putting my friends in a position where it could of costed them their lives.

But my fist swung faster than my thoughts did as it connected to his face and he wasn't phased.
He just stared at me with knitted brows as the tears rolled down my cheeks glaring daggers at him.
"You don't get to ask him that." I spat.
"After all it's you're fucking fault Adrian and Jayce are fucking hurt!" I snapped and he frowned in response.
"I know that already-"
"If you know that then you don't get to ask why I'm fucking here, I know about you. I know you're a god damn vampire, you got Adrian and Jayce both hurt!" I yelled at him.

"Jesus you brought in a noisy one." I glared in the direction of a hallway.
A guy stood at the side of it with his arms crossed and I hated how smug he tried to look.
I really hated guys like that.
Acting like they were these bad asses when in reality they're big marshmallows trying to look tough.

"He's upset, Nathan-"
"No shit." The one known as Nathan smirked.
"But for once I have to agree with Abel's questioning on why you brought him here, you're just adding more humans to the fire." He stated and I glared.
Maverick glanced to me then to him.
"He has a right to be here-"
"Just for Magna to find and kill? He almost killed those two and Nick, you must not care too much about your human." Nathan shrugged.

"Come on." Maverick pulled me away from the two.
"I'm sorry." He frowned.
"Everyone's frustrated we can't go out right now." He told me and I frowned.
"Because of my friends?"
"No." He glanced to me.
"Because Magna and his bunch are here in town stalking the alley's, they're hunting for anyone or anything Abel's involved himself with that they can kill or torture." He told me and I glared softly.
"Just what did Abel fucking do to cause this?" I dared to ask.
Again.
Silence.

"Remember to keep an open mind." Maverick pushed this door open that lead to a bedroom.
I felt weak seeing both Adrian and Jayce fast asleep.
I was in the middle of the two looking at them.

"Why are they so pale?" I asked feeling the anger boiling inside me.
"They lost a lot of blood, especially Jayce, it's amazing he's even alive." Maverick told me and my eyes fell on the black haired teen who laid perfectly still.
"They won't die will they?" I asked.

"No." I turned to the door where this guy stood.
He had straight blond hair with soft green eyes, his skin was pale as he wore a long white coat and black jeans.
His arms were crossed.

"Our team of healers managed to save your two friends, if Nick hadn't showed up last night when he did, Jayce would of been dead and I'm sure the same would of been said about Adrian." He told me harshly and I felt sick to my stomach.

"Styx, there are easier ways of explaining something like that to him, you said it too harshly-"
"I don't care Maverick, I really don't. We were up for hours healing their wounds and now we're not even allowed to feed because it's not fucking safe." Styx growled.
"It's Abel's fault." He added.
"Zendaya told us last night not to blame him-" 
"Then who do we blame? Nick was nearly killed, those two were also almost killed, so if we can't blame Abel who do we blame?" Styx demanded.

"I don't know but let's not point fingers right now." Maverick looked at him and Styx's brows were furrowed before his eyes locked on me.
"You're only making a mistake by involving yourself with everyone here." He told me and I frowned in response.
"That's up for me to decide, it can't be that bad of a mistake if Adrian and Jayce are both here. I won't abandon them or leave Maverick, the only one on my shit list right now is this Magna person." I told him.

Styx stared then rolled his eyes.
"Saying something like that will only get yourself killed." He told me and my eye twitched.
"I-"
"I won't let that happen, if for some reason Devyn ends up on deaths door, with his permission. I'll turn him." Maverick cut me off and he looked so serious.
I stared at the other.
Styx frowned in response.
"Vampires can still die-"
"If they're targeted by a insane vampire like Magna, he'd be safe. They all would be if we kept them at arms length." He said frowning.

I looked at Maverick frowning now.
"Is this Magna bastard that much of a threat?" I asked.
Styx glanced to me.
"He is, they originated from Italy and that's where Abel created a community for vampires to coexist, they turned the country into nothing but vampires and there's over a thousand of them." He explained and my stomach twisted in a painful knot.
"They're not coming here right?" I frowned.
Styx smirked.
"I would hope not myself but depending how desperate Magna wants Abel dead-"

"What did Abel even do?" I glanced to Maverick who looked away and Styx looked at me with crossed arms.
"Years ago before we were fully settled in living here, Abel lived in Italy, he was quite known and popular. He was a leader who protected the vampires in Italy, he slaughtered countless humans who tried to touch them. He was well respected out there." Styx frowned as if thinking back to it.
"Abel created that community for the vampires and he gained over six hundred followers-"

"Six hundred?" I was in shock and couldn't even breathe at that point.
There were six hundred..
Holy shit..
Styx stared.
"Can I finish?" He asked and I blushed.
"Yeah sorry." 

"His followers kept him safe, they killed any threat that was against what he was doing, and his right hand follower was Magna Taylor." Styx frowned.
"Magna had a younger brother." He ran a hand through his hair.
"Athan Taylor was his name, a rather cute but serious kid, or well he tried to be serious." He smirked softly.
"But with that baby face and his height, everyone saw him as a kid who was always angry." Styx glanced to Jayce and Adrian.
"He was in love with Abel, or the idea of him at least. He did everything he could to impress that leader, he got in many fights, he would shed blood if it meant his name would come across Abel in some kind of way." He rubbed the side of his neck.
"Athan just admired Abel so much that it finally brought concern to his friends and Magna, sure they would tease him about his feelings, but Athan was determined to win Abel somehow."

I looked to my friends as Styx frowned.
"But the night Abel decided he was tired of being a leader was the night Athan was going to confess, the night he would tell Abel how much he loved and respected the other. Of course the kid didn't know the horrid thoughts going through Abel's head at that time, so he wouldn't know the murderous vibe Abel had going on." Styx sighed leaning against the wall.

"Athan wanted to surprise him and he did, but in the wrong way. Abel overreacted, he was angry and confused and Athan was at the wrong place and wrong time, so when Abel opened the door and pulled Athan in. The kid thought Abel felt the same way, but instead, Abel ripped both of Athan's hearts out, killing him." He told me and my eyes were wide.
Styx's jaw ticked thinking about it.
"Abel still doesn't accept the fact he killed him, he denies it every time he's accused because he knows he didn't kill Athan." He said.

"Was there proof Abel actually killed him?" I found myself asking and Styx glared.
"His room was enough, the panic Abel felt and how fast he fled-"
"But if there wasn't any proof-"
"Magna was the the proof, he arrived that night at Abel's to see if Athan arrived but only found his brother instead." Styx told me and I frowned thinking about it.
It wasn't really convincing.
It felt like a murder mystery.
What if it had been someone else and they blamed Abel?
It would make more sense for Abel to be so defensive about this.
If he didn't kill Athan but everyone else is putting it in his head that he did.
Then there has to be someone behind the scenes that really did kill Athan.

"Ow.." My neck nearly snapped hearing Adrian groan before his eyes opened.

"Adrian!" I was at his side and he looked so confused and alarmed.
"Devyn? Where are we?" He hissed trying to sit up and I frowned finally noticing the bandages on his neck and face.
His face was swollen and bruised but not bad, thankfully.

"We're at Abel's." I told him and he looked confused before his eyes grew wide.
"Where is Jayce?" He looked around before his eyes fell on the other who still wasn't awake.
I frowned deeply in response to this but didn't want to stress myself out.
He was going to wake up.
He had too.

Adrian looked at him for the longest time before tears swelled in his eyes.
"How did you find out?" He asked me and I frowned.
"Maverick told me earlier, he said you guys didn't know a thing about them being vampires." I said and Adrian frowned.
"No, not until last night." He stared ahead now.
"I know all about them now, I didn't want to believe it, but now that I know.. Everything makes sense and it's scary, but.." He hesitated before looking at me.

"I'm not going to run."
"Even though you were nearly killed?" Styx came over to Adrian checking the healing process on his neck.
"If I ran I'd be forced to give this up, I won't abandon Abel," his eyes fell on Jayce.
"Or Jayce." He said and my eyes grew wide looking to the other.
"He's a-"
"I think so." Adrian frowned relaxing in the bed.
"Before I lost consciousness, I think he showed up and that guy... he called Jayce a vampire." He told me.

I stood there in shock.
Jayce was a vampire?
There was no way.
He was a human.
He's always been human.

Because that's what he's always told us.
He was human.

And I believed him.
He wasn't a vampire.
There just wasn't no way.

When he wakes up.
I'll have him confirm he's human.
And he'll agree.
Because that's what he's always done.

So Jayce.
I need you to wake up.

Soon.