arc 2: episode sixteen

【o28 : conclusion】

×

[a few days later]

A lone hawk shot through the vivacious clouds from above, and as the haze parted before him, a small island surrounded by waters that seemed to go on came into his view. The hawk descended towards it, sensing that the destination of what he was carrying seemed to be here. The island stretched out as the hawk dived down towards it, and searched for his target.

After a few minutes of flying and scouring over the small island, the hawk saw what he looking for.

He descended towards an old wooden shack with vines crawling up its wall towards the roof. He entered through the doorway that was slightly open. Inside were a dozen of people clustered around a small budding tree in the center.

A man with green hair lifted up his arm upon seeing the creature, and the hawk immediately sensed it as an invitation. He perched on his arm peacefully.

"A messenger hawk." Choi San said as he eyed the parchment that hung on its body.

He pet the lone hawk and walked towards Sujin who was busy eyeing the various substances that were stored in different jars and flasks. Most of them looked new to her, especially being a native from a desert country—some looked pretty and interesting, and some looked weird enough that she wouldn't dare touch them.

"I think it's for you." San said, and the hawk squeaked in agreement.

Sujin eyed the familiar red emblem on the hawk's harness, and she immediately recognized it.

"It's a Noinean messenger hawk! It must be from Kina!" Sujin exclaimed.

Gramen, the old apothecary walked over to the two and gave them a small bowl filled with water. "Here, give it to him. He must be tired from the journey."

Sujin smiled and nodded. Sujin can't help but notice the apothecary's red and puffy eyes. When Sujin and the rest of Ateez came and delivered the news to him yesterday, he immediately shed tears.

Gramen may have only had Janus as his apprentice for a short while but the old man must've been fond of the lad despite being tricked.

"I don't know about his past but, he was a hardworking apprentice." He told the bunch.

Sujin took a glance at the apothecary and proceeded to open the letter the messenger hawk had delivered. And as she had expected, it was from Kina and Aunt Junghee.

The rest of the boys left Sujin to sit on an antique chair to read the letter by herself and gave her some space. They knew how badly homesick Sujin was. She may not openly show it to the boys but they noticed it from her subtle actions.

Dear Sujin,

How's the pirate life, my friend? How does it feel like sailing the five seas? I hope you're enjoying the freedom out there in the waters. Have you seen any dolphins yet? or whales? Oh heavens, how about a mermaid? I hope you're having fun out there in the open sea, and enjoying the cold breeze. You're living the dream life, Sujin. Our dream life. So enjoy it to the fullest alright? When you guys get to Tarshall, do be careful, okay? And when you get the chance to meet his highness King Magnus, kick his balls for me would you? If I could come there myself I would've strangled him with my own hands but because of our situations, a kick on his balls will do.