Chapter 3

MEGAN

I wake up at a little past five in the morning. I have around an hour before the sun will rise and I take my time to get my bag with camera supplies ready. I don't have that much stuff, just a camera with two lenses and a small tripod. I grab some quick breakfast and write a note for Adele that I headed out for the morning.

I make the short walk along the coast to the cliffs I want to take pictures at. I walk slower than I normally would so I can take in the beautiful sight around me. The sun is starting to rise, casting a soft light on my surroundings. The sun rise is beautiful, as always. I sit down on a rock and think back about the things I left behind for the summer. Honestly, it isn't much. The only thing I really miss usually is my flat. I'm so used to have my own place, with all of my stuff, but Adele does everything in her power to make me feel at home every year again.

I haven't seen my father in over two years. Christmas two and a half years ago I went home for a few days, but he ended up spending most of his time in his office. He didn't bother to ask me how I was and how school was going and that's when I decided I was done with him.

My mother left when I was a year old. My father never told me much about her, ignoring her existence. My father has always been a distant person and my guess is that he never got over my mother leaving him with a baby. He spent my whole childhood working. The only good thing he ever did was get me a nanny. She was the sweetest lady and took care of me and loved me like no one else would. When I turned thirteen my dad shipped me off to boarding school and fired Lydia. After that day I never saw her again. She was like a mum to me, but my father didn't care one bit.

Since boarding school was closed over the summer and with the holidays, I had to go home. A year later, my father decided to send me to Greece. He said it was to get to know my maternal grandparents and learn more about my roots, but everyone knew he just didn't want to deal with having a teenager in the house all summer.

To be honest, sending me to Greece was probably the only good thing he did in raising me. My grandmother was the sweetest, most caring grandmother you can wish for. Apparently, my father would send them a letter once a year with a picture of me and how I was doing. He most likely let his secretary handle it, but I still appreciate that I was able to connect with my grandmother. My grandfather passed away two years before I spent my first summer on the island, but my yaya told me a lot of stories about him so in a way I still feel like I know him.

After I feel like I've taken enough pictures I start the short hike back to town. It's only 8 so I decide to head to the bistro before going home. The bistro is a small place that serves breakfast and lunch and has some great pastries and ice cream. Cate and Niko's parents run the place and they usually work there during the summer. I met the twins a few years ago when Adele took me out to eat at the bistro. They are my age and both study on the mainland, but come back every summer to help their family run the bistro.

They introduced me to their other friends and during the summer we're together most of the time. The others spend a lot of time in the bistro, enjoying the free food they get. I hope some of them are there already so we can catch up. It has been way too long and I cannot wait to hear all of their stories.

Cate and Niko are already serving customers when I enter the bistro. I wait at the counter until one of them comes to take my order. As soon as Cate sees me, she rushes over and hugs me. She gets me some food and a coffee and joins me at a table. She is one of the most cheerful people I know, always chatting loads. Catching up with her involves a whole lot of talking and she shows me a lot of pictures of the past year, what better way to catch up than through memories captured on camera. Once all people are served, Niko joins us as well. I question him about his girlfriend and he gleefully talks about how amazing she is. She will be coming to the island this summer, so I'll be able to meet her.

We chat for a bit, but I don't want to keep Adele waiting for too long so after an hour I say bye to Niko and Cate and head back to the house. We agreed to meet with the rest of the group tonight so we'll all be able to catch up. Since we stay in touch during the year, I feel like I didn't miss too much of their lives, but it's still different when talking to them face-to-face.

During the summer we have movie nights a few times each week. We get together at someone's house, fill the room with cushions and blankets and put on a movie or two. Usually the nights involve a lot of snacks and a wide range of alcoholic beverages. Some nights they invite some more friends and we'll have a party. I don't go to parties often back home, but I can enjoy a good party from time to time. I must admit, one of my favourite parts of the parties are the drinking games and more specifically winning them.

Adele is preparing breakfast when I get back home. I only had something small to eat at the bistro, so I don't mind eating again. And it's not like I'm ever really full. I help Adele prepare the food and make coffee for the two of us. We talk all through breakfast and after we clean everything up we get up to the rooftop bringing Adele's painting supplies with us. Beside reading, Adele loves to paint. She takes out the canvasses, paint and brushes. The rooftop garden has an amazing view over the ocean and if I have to paint somewhere it would definitely be up here.

I'm not the most creative person unless it involves a camera, but that doesn't mean I don't like doing it. I love seeing drawings and paintings come to life, the only problem I have is that it never ends up even close to what I had in mind.

While painting, Adele fills me in on all the island gossip. Who got together, who left who, who left the island, who came back. It's a constant stream of rambling and knowing Adele this can last for hours. The thing on such a small island is that everyone knows everyone. That means you cannot do anything without the whole island knowing about it. It can be a blessing and a curse, but luckily, I've never been the gossip of the town, and I don't plan on becoming it any time soon.