setup // nobara kugisaki

i wanted to do something for my readers who may not identify as female but considering me being a girl, i was afraid of somehow perceiving boys improperly and decided to go with gender neutral terms. enjoy anyway!

also don't forget requests are open! you can request anything for any character so long as they have made an appearance in the anime bc i haven't started the manga (yet; once i do its over for you bitches). i'm running out of ideas and if y'all don't request anything this work is easily going to go down the drain lol

plus i like knowing what my readers are more fond of so i can avoid certain stories yknow. it's very insightful in a way ig

warnings: gender neutral reader, cursing, typos, short

~~~

It was easy to tell your best friend Yuuji that you had a crush on Nobara, but telling her was a completely different story. Yuuji had suggested you tell her, insisting she would be elated, but the idea of telling her sent your body into a frenzy. Instantly, you would feel as though you had a fever, your legs would be practically useless, and your heart went absolutely crazy.

You almost wanted to see a doctor, but after Yuuji had assured you that it was just your body's pathetic way of showing you how you truly felt, you were sure it wasn't serious. Maybe you were just more nervous than most people were. Maybe you were just extra sensitive.

Either way, you knew you were never going to be able to tell her. Not on your own, at least. That's not to say you would be more willing if you had somebody sanding next to you for emotional support, but you knew you would just need a little help to get to the point where you were certain you could tell her without regretting it later.

Currently, you were walking on your own to the training area, hoping to privately train so you wouldn't have to worry about being under the watchful eyes of others. True, working around other people tended to scare you and make you mess up often during training, but when it came to actual assignments and missions, you were easily one of the most reliable students. For the other student's, sometimes they would become irritated with you during training only to be surprised once again during an assignment. You could never forget the look on Megumi's face when you took out a curse before he could.

That really showed him to not underestimate you. What shocked you, though, was when Nobara wasn't necessarily surprised by your sudden increase in skill compared to training, but rather exasperated that it took you so long to get into the battle. In that moment, you figured she understood you better than you gave her any credit for. She knew you weren't a complete screw-up, and the thought comforted you. For so long, you'd had to deal with meeting new people, letting them down in training, and surprising them on assignments. It was a nice change of pace with Nobara. 

Anyway, now that you were finally alone, you could finally try something that you've been meaning to but haven't had the chance since everybody is always hovering around you. 

(im literally making this shit up as i go i am so sorry lol)

Concentrating, you focused on your cursed technique, which was typically being able to create shields or barriers for protection. Recently, however, you saw sparks of (whatever color you want) near your hands, which made you wonder if there was more to your technique than you knew. In the clear space, your mind felt clearer, and you could finally focus.

Pulling your hands together and concentrating your energy in your hands, you once again saw those sparks. Pushing just a little harder, you saw a weapon of some sorts begin to take form. Your brows furrowed in concentration and you now had to strain to keep your hands together. Your legs and arms were shaking as more energy was being drained from your body. Finally, the sparks stopped and a new weight was added to your arms. Looking down, you saw an axe made up of your energy. It was (color) and looked like it was struggling to maintain its form, random bursts of your energy making the edges rigid and probably sharp, too.

Experimentally, you tossed it between your two hands, trying to gauge its weight, but it seemed almost weightless now as you adjusted to its form. The handle was perfectly grooved and fitted for your hands, though you weren't surprised by that. The blade itself was probably the size of your head, which shocked you, and the edge looked like it hurt to look at, a sharpness you'd never seen in your life. Finally, you turned to a target you had set up earlier, and wound back your arms. Stepping forward and throwing with all your strength, the axe flew from your hands and right into the center of the target.

You stared in awe, surprised you had managed to hit the target. You almost never did anything properly when training, even when alone because you were always suspicious others were watching. Deciding it was beginners luck, you made your way to the target and grabbed the handle of the axe. You pulled but it wouldn't come out. You tugged again, and nothing. With a sigh, you stood your ground and began pulling again when somebody cheering threw you off. Not only did you fall, but the axe suddenly disappeared in a burst of those sparks form earlier.

Surprised, you looked up to see Nobara sitting on the rails of a nearby building, probably only about ten feet from where you stood originally and manifested the axe. "Fuck- Nobara! What- what are you doing here?!"

She only laughed at you before settling. "Yuuji told me you were planning on practicing something exciting today, so I snuck here. I know you horrible you are during practices with other people, so I knew I'd throw you off if you saw me." She jumped down from the rail and onto the training grounds, miraculously not spraining an ankle.

"Guess I should have known better than to trust the dumbass who won't stop moaning about Megumi unless he's around him." You grumbled. "Well, thanks for not scaring me sooner, I don't- mmph!"

Before you could register what was happening, Nobara pulled away from the kiss with a smug look on her face. "That's a reward for doing so well. There's more where that came from if you're interested..." She trailed off as she began walking away.

Without even thinking, you ran to catch up with her. Needless to say, you couldn't be more happy you chose to tell the talkative pink-haired weirdo about your plans.